Thursday, August 01, 2024

Terengganu -part 2 - The wedding.

 My intention for going to Kuala Terengganu was primarily to attend a wedding of Nurashikin Mohd. Rafi daughter of my closed friend Mohd. Rafi or better known among friends as PokPi and not related to my nephew who is also Mohd. Rafi. I met Pok Pi sometime in 1998-99 when i was visiting Awie's Yellow House in Pulau Duyong. We hit off together because he was originally from Penang and speaks very Penang Malay like and with the same Penang Malay sense of humor. Pok Pi was transferred to Terengganu from Penang while he was in the Jabatan Laut or Maritime Services where he met and fell head over heels in love with a local and settled down for good and the rest is history as written many times in this Blog if one cares to reflect in retrospect. There are those in one's life that is valued much more than one's own flesh and blood as a brother and Pok Pi is one of those to me and thus I made the arduous bus trip to Terengganu to be at the wedding like I did when his first and second children were married in the past. I had watched these kids grew into adulthood before my eyes as such it makes much more intimate for our connections in life. 


The gentleman in the orange 'Malay Baju' standing behind is Mohammad Rafi or better known as Pok Pi among close friends and standing beside him is his son in law, Beyo. Sitting beside me is Pok Pi's younger brother Sham who travled from Penang to be at the wedding.  


Left to right- my nephew Farouq, his Mom, Rubina, his younger sister Sarah and Sumayah who accompanied me to the wedding.


A shot with the happily wedded couple.



Pok Pi's family, the two young boys standing to my right are his sons the remaining pain in his butt, Epi and Munir. Pok Pi's wife and his daughter Faziera and her husband Beyo standing on the right in the picture. I watched them grew up from little kids when I first met Mohammad Rafi and they all call me 'Sir' as they were at one time my English class students.


Me playing my role as the 'Godfather'. This is what i understand to be what the Muslim calls, SiratulRahim, relationship or the ties of Love and Brotherhood that must never be severed but fostered as best we can.  Life is what you make it to be, as colorful and interesting or as boring and painful as hell, your choice and free will. 







No comments: