Saturday, August 24, 2024

Sumatra - Land of the Minangkabaus.

 

Sometime in 2008 I was travelling all over Sumatra for ten days. I would like to share again this awesome journey in the land where my Grandmother was born and raised, in a palace in Deli, Sumatra. I am proud to say I was born of a royal blood for whatever good it does, however to know who I truly am I have to dive deep into my past if not spiritually, mentally, emotionally and psychologically/ genetically, I have to ascertain every aspect of my genetical makeup, where did my ancestors originate from? Who were they? Is the stories told of them their past heritage and status, are these true? Yes from all my understanding and intuition, I am born of royal blood through my Grand Mother's lineage...So I travel all over Sumatra to get the feeling of the country.#sumatra #deli

   

The Minangkabau people are an Austronesian ethnic group native to the Minangkabau Highlands of West Sumatra, Indonesia1They are the largest ethnic group on the island of Sumatra2The Minangkabau are strongly Islamic, but also follow their own ethnic traditions, or adat3They are also the world's largest matrilineal society, with a complex social structure based on matrilineal clans, and property, such as land and houses, inherited through female lineage4Minangkabau is also the native language of the Minangkabau people of West Sumatra5.Wikipedia. #minangkabau #indonesia #austronesian




Centuries ago, Minangkabau settlers from west Sumatra who made their new home at the state of Negeri Sembilan at Peninsular Malaysia, brought their style of architecture. The sweeping, multi-tiered buffalo horn architecture is the most distinguishing feature of the Minangkabau and was used prominently in the state's capital, Seremban...Wikipedia #buffalohorn #architecture



I was mesmerized by the colors that explodes intensely all around me as i walked down the narrow street of a small town. It reminded me of South America when I was walking down a lane in Medellin, Colombia. 


                                                 Proud owner of this colorful building.


The inside reminded me of being inside the Japanese Temples in Kyoto, that feeling of wood. 



This is where architecture becomes a work of art. Each and every building created with care and creativity, taking into account all the spiritual aspects of the building's 'Fengshui,' or cosmic location.


 

Where does the word #minangkabau originate from? A legend has it that the word Minangkabau came from two words, minang and Kerbau. A buffaloe fight to the death was held to settle a dispute between two parties and one won -minang or to win, over the other, Hence winner of the Buffalo fight. Google it!



I would highly recommend a travel through Sumatra but do not expect too much in terms of choices of good food and fancy restaurants along your way. That was way back when I cannot say that things have not changed.






















No comments: