Friday, December 20, 2019

I was a Martial Art Student -1

I was a student of the martial arts in my teenage year growing up along the East Coast town of Kuala Terengganu, where I spent my secondary schooling years at the Sultan Sulaiman Secondary School. The school was and perhaps still is the number one school known for its high achievers who I know from my peers practically running the State in government or accomplished business men and many doctors and engineers. It was during these years that I was introduced to my martial arts instructor Encik (Mr.) Abu Johan Bin Johor, who was then the director of the Terengganu State Religious Department, (Ketua Jabatan Agama Terengganu). One of the highest government position one can hold like the Chief Magistrate, or the Chief of Police for the State which incidentally were his buddies who he hung up with after working hours which usually was in the evening lasting till late at night. How i know this is because I was always sitting among them and defeating them at their game of Scrabble. Because I had read allot while a teenager my English was good enough to defeat these gentlemen at the game and for this I was allowed to hang out with the 'Big Boys' who ran the State Government. I never paid much attention to what they were talking about that was not concerned with the game but I felt the presence of powerful minds around me not to be trifle with.

My martial arts instructor was a highly Western educated as well as a very well versed religious man; he was one of the most well balanced man in character and behavior that I have the privilege of meeting in my life. It was more than a blessing for me to be adopted into his large family, for he had a large family along with adopted children and afforded the opportunity to learn one of the most guarded Malay Martial Arts, known as Silat Seni Gayong, that is today among the number one contender among the Malay martial arts in Malaysia.One never claim to be 'The' number One in martial arts schools, my instructor once told me, he said to let others claim it on your behalf.

Our 'Gelangang' or training ground was in the courtyard of his home, which was a government quarters for the division one government officials for the State and it was located along the beach off the South China Sea at what is famously known as Batu Buruk, or 'The old Stone' area of Kuala Terengganu. A stretch of beaches that runs as far as the eyes can see either way lined by coconut trees and in some parts the Casuarina trees, a specie of the pine tree mostly found along the beaches on the East Coast. POur training began in the evening as soon as, Pa'Abu' was ready after his evening or Asar Prayer. The gelangang or ring was a large freen canvass tarp laid on top of sawdust covered ground which helps to cushion our falls. I was not good at Scrabble alone but excelled in my martial arts training and was someone to be weary of as an opponent in the ring; to me it was an art and not just for fighting alone. It was more like a dance with a partner that you do the leading, it was not a matter of brute strength but of reading the opponent's moves and finding his or her weakness. 

Silat Seni Gayong as common with most Malay martial arts was and perhaps still is imbued with the spiritual nature or the supernatural. The students or practitioners of the Malay martial arts has spiritual companions or what i call sparring partners in the spiritual realm. These partners were awarded to the students by the Guru or Instructor via someone who has the ability and know how about these matters. My Guru and his wife had their spiritual companions or guides as sometimes we call them and his wife's spiritual ability it was said was to be able to see into the spiritual realm, or see spirits if and when they decide to appear. She was often used to distinguish whether the spirit invited to be become a companion to some who was being initiated to affirm if the spirit was positive or negative in nature or it was compatible to the student.

Initially I was not allowed or not accepted to be initiated by my instructor as mus as I wanted to as a matter of fact he never did, except through another teacher who was more of a maverick and had his won ways. His name was Tengku Azmel Muzzafar Shah and was said to be a nephew to the First Prime Minister of Malaysia, Tunku Abdul Rahman; he never liked to discuss about it when asked. Tengku was much younger then Pa'Abu and had a mean demeanor about him especially when he was angry. It was related by a very reliable source that the Tenku, (a Royal title), once drop a man to the floor by staring at him, and yes he did have eyes that reminded me of a king cobra's. 

He rented a home next door to where i lived back then and so i always hung out at his house whenever he was around and often accompanied him and another who was then the District Officer for one of the Districts in the State and who later became adviser to the Sultan of Terengganu on State Affairs. on their hunting and fishing trips during the weekends. the late Dato' Ariffin Zakaria was a well respected man among his peers and the local folks alike for his sense of humility and empathy despite his high position in the government. His favorite tease for me was to stretch out his arm and held it in a tight fist and demanded that I twisted if I could, I never could, much as tried with both my hands. He was my mentor along with my two other instructors. Through watching how he carried himself I learned what it was like to be in the position of power and yet not be consumed by it. 
to be contd.
# Silat Gayong, # Batu Buruk, #spiritual companion, #Sultan Sulaiman Sec. Sch.


   


No comments: