Tuesday, May 01, 2018

Ignorance is ignoring what makes sense.

I have come to love my small bowl of Quaker Oats with full cream milk as my breakfast cereal of choice. It would be nice if there is a banana or some other fruits added to it, but with a little sugar it is not bad. I grew up on Roti Canai and Nasi Lemak as my primary choice of breakfast and it is not the most healthiest needless to say as it is often accompanied by spicy hot curry, but it was and perhaps still is a staple diet for most of us Malaysians. Roti canai is a kind of flat bread like the peta bread and Nasi lemak is rice cooked with coconut milk.  

Ignorance is not, not knowing, ignorance is ignoring your self, ignoring that which is of great significance, ignoring God or the divinity within. I always had assume that ignorance simply means being ignorant, simply dumb or stupid until I heard it explained by a lady who calls herself Gangaji and liked her idea,she is on You Tube. I recently discovered her as I was looking for some inspirational talks to listen to yesterday. At first her name itself turned me off, my bad, my prejudice against white folks with Hindu or Japanese names don't sit well with me. And then she looked like she could be from Holly Wood, and that did it, but I listened, took my chances and overcame my stereotyping and listened to what she was teaching, I am impressed; I have found yet another online guru worth listening to.

Yes this is how the mind operates, at least mine, it is incessantly seeking for more and more knowledge, more words of wisdom, more clever ways of looking at something so basic and simple, like what is meditation? or who am I? I know I got the answers way back when, at least answers that could be conclude as the truth of the matter, but, never enough, not quite what or how it should be. I needed confirmation upon confirmation by those who I accept to be ahead of me in the game and thus Gangaji, Krishnamurti, Alan Watts, Mooji Baba, Sadhguru, Deepak Chopra, Michio Kaku and the list goes on. My thoughts my ideas, my way of acting, thinking and so forth stopped being my own, they are what I have been feeding my mind with having read, listened and in practice led by these teachers; I am indebted to them for the knowledge i have accumulated and calls it my own. My mind has become nothing more than a sack of manufactured thoughts and ideas of those who have arrived before me, in my time and age.

Then there are those who were enlightened much earlier in the history of man,like the Old China Man, Lao Tzu and his fellow Chinese Sifu, like Confucius and Mencius, Chuang Tzu and Huang Po, The Greats of Japanese Zen Lineage, like Dogen Zenji, and Rinzai Zenji, Hakuin and Matsu Basho,(the Zen Poet). In India the list is much longer and it would be tedious to get into, but i made the effort to study most mostly our of sheer curiosity and the joy of reading. In the In the Judeo, Christian and Islamic traditions, there again numerous prophets and saints whose works and words of wisdom I had fed upon, digested and regurgitated. The truth has always been out there, explained and pointed out in very many ways, I just enjoy looking at each one through my own prism.

   

   







No comments: