Tuesday, May 08, 2018

Taking it light and easy - my art.

This is my way of saying how much I admire Katsushika Hokusai's Art especially his Manga (comics). My two favorite artist from the East and West is Rembrandt and Hokusai. Being born as an artist, yes I was a born artist, I feel very blessed and so i chose very early in my life to live the life of an artist and not just merely draw and paint. I have a God given talent and s such I am responsible to keep this talent alive in all its forms and manifestation. 

One of the few paintings I have sold and I don't sell very many of my works as i have always had a very hard time putting a price to my works. Thus i have always been a starving artist who lives the life of an elegant beggar. I keeps me grounded and humble as money would have corrupted me easily and not that I am not corrupted in many ways already. I once wrote a caption for one of my pieces hung in an exhibition at the University of Wisconsin in Green bay, " I draw and paint not to entertain your ego but to destroy mine."

Mono type or Mono Print is my favorite form of printmaking as it is done spontaneously and is less involved than the other types of printmaking like etching and lithograph. It has to be done fast so that the ink is still fresh when you pull a proof out of  the plate. The process is most simple compared to the rest of the printmaking  techniques and it allows for so much freedom of expression.
I enjoy doing large paintings and this however gets harder and more expensive these days, hard on the lower back and expensive on the materials. The works then usually ends up in a corner of the gallery or museum somewhere collecting dust as there is no room to hang them. This is actually happened to most of my works. 
My sketchbook journals are my real artworks. I keep an ongoing journal eversince i started one when I was on a trip to England sometime in 1978. I enjoy sharing my sketchbooks with anyone and everyone who cared to share them. The books at one time numbered over sixty of them but a few were lost over the years and a few lost in transition as I moved from one country to another.

At the end of the day I am just another wannabe:  Masters of the Fine Arts - "The Art of Living"

A

No comments: