Sunday, July 23, 2023

Weighing the pros and consequences in daily life.

 Two days ago my daughter and I decided to hire my nephew to do a painting job for the Apartment which included in looking at the Air conditioners something which later turned out the landlord a Mr. Cheah refused to consider paying for as he never suggested having it done. When the job was completed the total amount came to about three thousand and the amount quoted was two thousand at the most. Why am I telling all these boring , mundane daily dealings in and around the home? I am writing it all down so as to make some sense to myself as my mind being what it is, goes to bed and waking up with the thought of being taken advantage of by just about everyone involve in this matter. So as long as it matters to my mind to tell and retell the events that led up to the final state which is yet ongoing, for my own sanity's sake I need to puke it all out on how i perceive what had transpired. It does not matter if it matters or not as far as others are concern, my nephew, my daughter, Mr. Cheah the landlord or the Menara Kuda Lari Apartment Committee for that matter. These are the entities that is for the present has been occupying mind with thoughts of fair and unfairness, responsibilities and commitment, and the basic huma decencies of our human coexistence depending upon one another to make life simple and pleasant for all. As I see it it will only turn more sour if  each entity, each individual does not wake up to and claim their part with a fair and firm commitment, keeping the welfare of the customer as the best interest. If profit and loss is the measure and disregard for concern of the safety and well being of the tenants is the norm, then it would be like barking at the moon when you are stuck in a bog; the more you struggle the deeper you sink. So what do you do to stop this mind from carrying on like it is?


Since I am on the subject of my daily mental preoccupation concerning my living situation and my dealings with others, it is only fitting that I share with myself a few facts and fictions, what is real and what is simply not even there. I am sieving through to collect what makes sense and what is simply non-sense, what i should see with full awareness and what the mind wants to perceive. I cannot fully be committed to say that I am full contented living where I am, but it is thus far the best of my times and fortunately at my old age, as even the fact that i am sitting here making this post is a good example of being here, now.  To be with my son and daughter under the same roof for the last few years has been both a blessing and a challenge which helped me grow as a father. The fact rarely does anyone comes up here to the twelfth floor unless they have a business make it the most private place to do what i do, practice what I practice and talk to my Maker like I am in a cave up in the mountains of Tibet. There is a relatively good security service, can rest assured my parking space will always readily available, its a bonus hard to come by living is the city. The fact that here is whole lot of space for my daughter and I can grow plants and have a small corner for a studio to pain, this too is an added bonus. The scenery early this morning was the sides of the Penang Hill being covered by misty clouds like stretches of cotton wool and the air crispy clean fresh from the storm last night. The Race Course looked green and the Kek Lok Si Buddhist/ Chinese Temple on the slope of the Hill was bright and clear in the rising sun. Yes the scenery is impeccable on both the front and the back, something that has been an environment that helps to sooth a wearied mind and clear a cluttered brain. All around us one can practically view the panoramic view of the City of Georgetown. 


When my daughter was in the process of looking for a place to stay we came upon this place and made the decision to take it even though almost half her salary would go for rent. I asked her what she would settle for, a quiet and safe place to come to at a higher price or a cheaper place where you would be scared to step out at night listen to the sound motorcycles all day and night long while struggling to find a parking space every time you come home; we settled for the place and partly because it came fully furnished. The apartment seemed perfect for the price except we found out four or five years ago that the ceilings are prone to peel offs due to water leaking through from the roof. And I found out a few weeks ago that our apartment sits under three large steel tanks over ten feet tall and twenty feet wide containing possibly tons of water and the leak was from one of these. Sometimes I feel like I have made my last bad choice and imagine what the mind has played out as horror or horrors stories with regard to being squashed like three bugs in bed. Safety? What a laugh! When was the last time a building Inspector come to take a look at the conditions the several buildings are in. A few nights ago the air conditioner in my son's room decide to come off the wall and drop on my son's legs while he was sleeping. Fortunately for pipe connection that still held the unit just hung there in the air. This is why the landlord came acting all excited trying to make it look like there no problem at all and tell him what is needed to get the house ship shape again. Do I need to continue? Nope! I will just leave the rest of the story to unfold and sit and watch; the Devil is in the details?


  


No comments: