Saturday, January 04, 2020

What is in Creating an Art work -

Creativity is my second nature, it is in my blood fora as long as I can remember. I have spent a good portion of my lifetime sketching, drawing, painting, print making and more and for every piece I have created it was a personal joy that submerge myself into  as art for art's sake. 

I am thankful to have been accorded this God given talent as it has filled the empty spaces in my life and at the same time has been shared with those with similar interest. Art is an act of self manifestation, it has also been a form of a meditation practice that happens naturally when each work is being carried out. It does not matter to me who or what I paint and draw, what matters is that it is a labor of love more than anything else.

I have no medium of choice as I would work with whatever is available at hand and I do not make it a habit of staying with any one style  when I work, I simply make it happen whatever it takes.   

Ideas, design, technique, impressions, they all come to me as I create and I do not mind adopted the works of others as a template for what I 
 choose to produce
I have tried to create optical illusions through manipulation of the medium and very often I would create images that would allow for my viewers to perceive more than I had portrayed through allowing for my subconscious to be involved in my creative actions.  

Minimalism and simplicity has also been my intention when I create something. I like others to wonder how a piece is created to attain such an effect. Exploring all possibilities makes art an interesting process that helps to keep my mind challenged.

Creating an art owrk must be out of fun for me and not pressured by market demands or to seek fame and fortune. A good work is a good work that triggers interest in the minds of those who view my work for one reason or another. I feel the satisfaction of having been creative enough to produce a piece that someone is willing to hang on their wall.

It always begin with a wonder, what if? then it usually moves to the next step, how to and then the execution with confidence that I can do it without much thought or planning.

More often than not I always end up giving away my works to whoever that my heart feels like deserves it. As such I do not know where or who owns my works and I really do not care less. It is not that I do not value my work but it is because I love them that i find it hard to sell them; this is Art for Art's sake.

No comments: