Friday, January 24, 2020

From Rome to Pompeii. -

In my childhood days one of the movies that stuck to my mind was, "The last Days of Pompeii" It was in Black and White and  I never dreamed that I would one day stand in the ancient street of the City of Pompeii playing a tourist.  

.
Pompeii was  buried under six feet of ashes in some parts of the City by the sea when the Mount Vesuvius which stands across from the bay. erupted.  The fate of the City and the surrounding areas was an act of Divine retribution for the City's decadent way of life that was comparable to the ancient cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. I think it was on the History channel of You Tube.

In this realm, nothing is permanent except memories, and that too fades in time, Those who were buried under the volcanic ashes in their homes and in their beds are reminders of what can happen and why we should have healthy respect towards the powers of Nature.

Here I stood imagining myself as Samson separating two walls in the City of Pompeii, just to feel the energy of the place. he anxieties and traumas that befell the citizens; the fear, agony and the pain. It was said that most of the people were not even aware of what was happening before they died due to the speed by which they were snuffed due to the toxic fumes that came with.   

I like to study the details when I view a scene and my mind would travel back in time to feel the same moment when someone had laid down these cobbled stones. Maybe it is a reconstruction cannot tell but, no harm in letting my mind time travelling with flights of imagination. 
As an artist I am always mesmerized by the great works done by those who had come way before me and left their marks on the walls and halls of ancient structures large or small. They are an inspiration to my spirit knowing that creativity has kept the place alive. 

Every picture tells a story no matter how trivial or insignificant, who had and under what circumstances these fine sculptures were done will live wrapped in the fine works, a testimony of  culture and antiquity.

How old is the wood? Where was it made and by whom? How many hands had touched and handled the form. 




No comments: