Saturday, May 09, 2020

My Flute- Krishna.

Whenever I listen to the theme of the Last Samurai by Hans Zimmer, I immediately feel a sense of melancholy, not in the negative way, but more in the feeling of a sadness of a loss. It tells me a whole of what a good music can do to the emotions and senses especially tunes that were written from the heart and soul of the Master Conductor himself. I can mange to play and sing on the guitar a few oldies, I used to play the flute, metal and bamboo, used to play the recorder, my first musical instrument and the harmonica least but not last; most of all I love to sing. Music and Art in general soothes the soul, reels it back into the consciousness from external pull and push of emotions. Listening to a great music in absolute silence of the mind gives me the sense that i am back on my horse  riding into the next battle.

I once had a metal flute given to me by my lady friend in Green Bay, Wisconsin where I attended the university and she was the Director of International Students Department as well as the assistant Dean of Students when I was student there. We lived together for two years and learned much from each other. Friends called her, 'Barefoot Lizzy.' Liz gave me a birthday present of a second hand flute and I named the flute 'Krishna.' I took it wherever I went and used to blow it as loud as I could when walking all over the Muir Valley, at Green Gulch Farm and Zen Center usually in the evenings when the sun was setting over the Pacific. At dinner hall many would ask, "Where were you? I could hear you echoing all over the hills!" I used to play it in 'the tunnels' at Golden Gate Park where I took my two children on the double stroller for a walk daily; I love the echo chamber effect. 

I had to part company with Krishna when I found myself landed in East LA, after I had hitched a long truck ride from Wisconsin and ended in the nearby area Truck Stop, of East LA. I had no money to my name and had to find my way to San Francisco my final destination; the Zen Center to be exact. I was so desperate that I walked into a bank and went right up to a bank employee and told him my story, the fact that I need about 87 USD to get me a bus ticket all the way to Green Gulch Farm. The funny thing was when I mentioned the Zen Center and G G Farm the gentleman got interested and eventually I managed to sell my flute for the same amount. I felt like i lost a friend and companion that day and how it had actually saved my life perhaps. This was the feeling i got when listening to Hans Zimmer's, Theme form The Last Samurai.
#Hans Zimmer,# The last Samurai,# East LA, #GG Farm

No comments: