Monday, November 25, 2019

Why Zazen -2

Meditation has always been one of my favorite field of studies and I meditate at least twice a day everyday sometimes more like when I have to sit at the bus stand or wait for the dentist or stuck in an airport, I meditate. Often with my eyes close most around me would assume that I had fallen asleep especially when listening to a talk or a lecture. Every now and then the speaker would insinuate that I had no interest or simply should not have been there if I were to take a nap while event was in progress and yes it would sometimes be embarrassing or even awkward to be picked upon out of the presenter's self assuming and ignorance, like one should be sitting up with eyes wide open and focused on the speaker. There was an episode when I was rudely challenged by the speaker and i retaliated by asking if the speaker would like me to repeat every word that had been spoken, it did not end too well.

When in a deep state of meditative awareness, which happens rarely in public one becomes fully conscious of what goes on all around you including that which were not immediately related to what or where you are  are at. The mind listens or is conscious beyond the periphery of the environment and the sense views things from a wider angle lenses. You do not only listen to the other talking but is also aware of the other listening or reacting to what is being said in your conscious mind and off course you do not do this through effort but it happens sometimes even you are not aware that it is happening, like listening to an orchestra through your whole being, aware of the background as well as the main instrument and feeling the vibes of the whole audience as well as the resonance of the entire hall; one becomes the music. When absorbed in such states, this is meditation in action. The beauty of the sunrise or sunset emanates throughout your being with no thought arising to describe or capture the moment on camera, one is simply there at one with the moment.  

I have tried many forms of meditation in the past including Yogic, and Muslim Sufi tradition, but I find Zazen to be the best for me as it involves simply sitting and the longer you sit the better you get. There is no goals to achieve or no state heightened consciousness to think of, one just sits and watch the breath and through it watch the mind; just watch and nothing more. Meditation should be encouraged in schools especially the primary schools where children should be trained to calm their minds before actual school activities. Just like the playful kitten full of energy, it takes a nap when tired or worn out. There is no doctrine or religious activities involve, just the act of proper breathing and slowly quiet the mind to the point of falling asleep. My children spent three years of their childhood in a Japanese kindergarten and I used to sit and watch them do this. It was an amazing thing to watch how they settled down into a peaceful state after a strenuous activity;this is Zazen.
#Zen, Zazen, 

No comments: