Friday, October 26, 2018

Mind Benders.

What is the imperturbable mind? This was what my first Zen Teacher, Jun Po Denis Kelly, threw at me one day while we were driving in his BMW towards Green Gulch Zen Center in Marin County California. Denis today is an Abbot of his own Zen center somewhere in the Midwest. The question or as in the Zen tradition called koan or mondo, has stuck with me over the years and although I never grappled or given it too much attention it is still there in my mind somewhere and keeps popping out every now and then to be noticed. What is the imperturbable mind or what is the immovable mountain, or what is the vast mirror-like ocean of consciousness. The Japanese Movie 'Ran' by Akira Kurosawa often comes to my mind whenever the question of the imperturbable mind arises. It is the image of the Shogun sitting on the hillside witnessing his military in action like a solid mountain, transfixed. The ability to stay still and calm amidst all that is going on around you is the most powerful expression one can have in the Zen tradition; this is meditation in action.

My mind unfortunately is still like four wild horses trying to pull a chariot while headed in four directions simultaneously. I am not a good charioteer and my mind still holds sway over my everyday activity and even in my sleep, especially in my sleep. There is such a thing as trying too hard and I am making too much effort to still my mind and as a result the mind is reciprocating likewise or more so. What is beneficial in meditation is that at least I am noticing what is happening where my mind is concern in relation to being who I am; ! am able to step away from and becoming a witness to how my mind behaves. It is a small step but I hope with more practice I can master the technique and attain to my goal of having a quiet mind if not an imperturbable mind. I would like to become a 'Mind Bender' if I could and I am far from it at the moment, but who knows with practice and persistence, I just might get the hang of it. I think magicians and mystiques are Mind Benders. We should all become Mind Benders.

  

No comments: