Thursday, October 26, 2017

Ya, more reflection on what if and what could have been.

Yes, we are indeed victims of our own making and not having a thorough understanding of the workings of our mind conscious, subconscious and even the unconconscious has put us here in this prison of the physical form. Our insatiable cravings and yearnings, looking for more and better ways, our need to outdo the next guy and gauge our success by how much we have accomplished and accumulated materially has gone way beyond our need for survival. We are blinded by our own ignorance of what is real and everlasting for what is ephemeral and fleeting, For as long as we can live our lives in comfort and affluence, we fell a false sense of contentment and having lived this so called successful life we hand it down to our children making their lives too just as miserable as ours, filled with expectations hopes and reams. But, this is okay too for as long as we realize our life is just a passing phase in time and space.
I had the opportunity to live for almost a year in Dubai where my son is a pilot with the Emirates Airline. He rented a villa in the area known as Falcon City  about half an hour drive from the City center of Dubai. Thanks to my son I had tasted the life of the affluent where Iwas even taken to dinner at the Atlantis Hotel located at the ver tip of the Palm Village. I think it was the most expensive dinner I ever had and will ever experience in my life. A Plate Sushi that had about 20 pieces of regular sushi like salmon rolls and squids, with afew pieces of tiney oysters, came to about RM700!1 I almost flipped when i saw the bill and that was only the Sushi order tha by any japanese standards was way below expectation and i lived in Japan for three years and a sushi lover. On his liquor run for the Christmas and New Year part, y he had to drive a short distance out of the Dubai Area to a smaller township where a huge liquor barn was located. After loading his SUV with all the assorted liquors, I took a glace at the bill and it my jaws dropped, a whopping RM6000 . The Dirham is pretty much the same as the Malaysian Ringgit, sometimes a little more and sometimes less depending. 
My son who is now a Captain has a good head for living and knows how to keep himself and his friends entertained. He converted a very large room in the villa into a movie theater better than most  found ni Malaysia  at least in a private home. He had a 300 gallon large salt water fish tank that was maintained by a professional fish shop in town on call at anytime in case of emergency. Being a Ice Hockey goal keeper for one of the Emirates team his storage room was full of sports equipments including scuba diving gears and so forth. Indeed I was most impressed with his lifestyle  to mention the lovely ladies, the pick of the Emirates stewardesses that came over to spend the evening with him. Like all good fathers I was stumped sometimes by the opulence of it all but kept my caution all to myself . Then he got married and it was the end of my Arabian dream. However I am thankful for having had the taste f life that not too many can boast of even if it was for a short period of time.
I do not crave for such  extravagant lifestyle and am not to keen into travelling the world either, too much hassle at the airports and feeling like a hobo in a shopping mall at times makes me feel like I was living in a fantasy world and Dubai can do that to one. Yet it is an amazement to see the city built in the desert over sand dunes and drinking and swimming in water that was desalinated from sea water. One can easily got lost into this lifestyle and forget about the real world where life is a struggle to survive for most and a liquor run worth RM6000 cold mean a three month salary pay for many living in my country. Like a sand castle Dubai is the epitome of living in a life of make believe for many who have, my son perhaps was just an average compared to many living there.
When I reflect upon the life I had been expose to in Dubai I came to a realization that, yes. nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it and my son is testimony to this as one who reached out and grabbed what he felt was worth reaching for. In essence he has made this old man very proud in many ways. Perhaps it is my aging process that has dulled my senses of adventure and longing for the more opulent and extravagant, I do not envy nor do i judge but I feel that for me enough is enough and to crave for more is purely greed. I now stay ahcored in taking good care of my two children here who are now embarking on their adult life with work and making ends meet. If in any some small way I could be of assistance to them I am more than happy to accommodate to their needs as i am sure by being in need of their care as a father is also a means of providing them with a sense of responsibility and pride tht they are fulfilling a filial commitment. Yes i would much rather live as a farmer out there at the edge of the jungle in Lintang, Kedah, but one cannot have it all especially if one's intention is to serve those who needs one's presence.

No comments: