Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Rich is as rich is.

What is the meaning of being successful in this life? You own it all? That you walk on the good side of The Lord? Or that you have the blessings of all those you come into contact with? I ask myself these questions and the answers still eludes me. Some have more than enough for them to live on while others bare makes it through the day.

I was living among those who could not afford to buy their children school uniforms not a month ago in Lintang or Belantik area, in Kedah and they work hard whose religious practices is unquestionable. They are poor but they were happy, as I felt it in them, so much so I hung around them for longer than I had planned to. Sometimes we ate salted fish with plain rice for dinner cause there was nothing else to eat or a few packets of MAGGI Mee shared among ourselves, but ti was delicious nonetheless.

When I look at my twin brother and how determined he is to make it happen at his cattle farm where from what I understand all is not too well what with his stock being stolen and the shortage of man power, I wonder if it is worth it all. I would much rather see him diving off the Pualu Redang or Kapas or swinging his clubs on the many golf courses, or having a good time in Indonesia somewhere; no, not raising cattle.

My twin is also a great painter but he does not pursue it, he has a handful number of fishing rods but he stopped going fishing, but instead he is tied to this farm fighting a loosing battle unless he can swing a major investment into upgrading the whole area  and hire a regular work force. Money!

Perhaps he too like me seeks the quiet and estranged life away from the hubbub of everyday existence. Perhaps in caring for his animals he finds peace within despite the theft and lacking.; here he is still the boss.

When I stand up close to him in the field i could feel the shortness of breath and the painful expression on his face, my brother has a heart problem. I would have told him if i could to let it go as it is not a good place to be if you get an attack and the only person around is the Indonesian maid who cannot drive. But i know better as my good intention will only recoil and hit me hard in the head, for telling him so. Who am I to tell my brother how to slow down when I myself is running on fumes. 

I had been a meat cutter at one time and boned an average of a hundred cattle a day at a meat packing  plant where I used to work in Green Bay, Wisconsin, US. and that was for 31/2 years. Don't look at me like I know diddly about cows and don't give me that look! I did not put you there! He did! Ha! Ha! that was how we got along, me and my twin! I was a thorn in his side and for this I can only say I am truly so sorry!

I wish my brother has a chance to meet and chat with the Major in Lintang. Perhaps look into turning this piece of land into another organic farm of some sort. For whatever good it does I am regretful that we never saw eye to eye throughout our lives; we are mirrors of each other, our lives are like the Cosmic Symbol of Ying and Yang, opposites yet one in essence. One thing we have in common though, we both like Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here.. 

No comments: