Thursday, March 03, 2022

Food and People on the East Coast.

 Floods are hitting the East Coast States of Terengganu and Kelantan, the monsoon is not leaving without kicking up a storm or two. I managed to sneak away in the nick of time a week ago where I was visiting my family and friends in Kuala Terengganu. It is safe to say that the weather has gone haywire where the cycle of the monsoon season is concern. Pictures of places I visited are appearing on Face Book showing how high the water had risen in many parts of Terengganu especially in the interior causing hardship to lives living close to the Terengganu River. The area hit badly was the Pulau Duyong area where Awi's Yellow House is located. Although it is quite normal an event for the locals as every year this is to be expected, it still is a challenge for those whose homes are affected. In the old days this is one of the reasons why Malay Kampung houses were built on high stilts or pillars such the floor was raised far from the ground to avoid being inundated. The Yellow House chalets have survived many years of flooding due to it being built high above the river and thus is free from b eing washed away by strong currents. 


The monsoon floods this year seemed more severe in the interior or the Hulu Terengganu, Kuala Brang area where the Kenyir Dam is located. Postings of debris of logs and torn down trees makes it looks like the area is headed for a disaster in the making. The heavy rain and floods unleashed has revealed the human errors in underestimating nature and thinking that what is not seen will forever be hidden from the general public.The monsoon rains has washed away most of the deforestation from logging that is thought to cleverly stay hidden and those who are responsible will be drawn out to answer what or who shall take the blame. Like the floods in the state of Pahang and Selangor, logging activities in the surrounding forest area has been the major cause of flash floods as the hills being depleted of trees that normally retain the flow of water has allowed water to move freely downhill washing away top soil in its wake. The rivers and lakes has turned yellow to orange and the amount of sediment that finds its way to the sea is phenomenal if one is able to measure it in some way. Flooding has taken a whole new turn from what it used to be in the sixties and seventies when I lived there in the state of Terengganu. The worse flood was still not a real threat as many living in the flood areas were aware of what expect and make necessary precautions. Today the flood from a heavy  continuous rainfall ofthen result is flash floods where water just rises in one short moment, most of the times without warning. Areas that were normally with less chances of flooding are today exposed to the changes of the topography of the land from development in and around the area. If a careful study is carried out by related government agencies it would be discovered that in most area where new homes and residential areas being developed, drainage systems are found most lacking.  It is as if no thought is being put into it that results in poor water flow when it rains. This is also the problems face by the larger cities that recently were hit by major flash floods. IN most cases the raging water has no where to go but to overflow and flood surrounding area. 


At five am. tomorrow morning my friend Ben Rongen and I will be driving to Kuala Terengganu for Ben to fulfill his desire to be on Pulau Kapas and be with his friends. It would be a second trip for me this year already being there for two weeks last month. It was mostly cool and sunny days all the time I was there and was able to visit people and places. I left in the nick of time as I noticed that the weather was starting to gather momentum towards the real monsoon that would hit the East Coast. When I left the dark clouds were gathering and it was starting to rain here and there as they say it in Wisconsin, I hauled ass out of there. On my last visit I had some of the most tasty dishes, including home made chapatis and Roti Nan that my distant nephew made his restaurant located in Marang which is quite well known among food lovers from all over. I was given a treat of the best Satay in the area too and for once I felt blessed by the kindness of those who fed me in their homes and restaurants. I must say that the last trip was about food. 


What do my children think about my taking off again for the East Coast. I think they are cool with it, just for a week they can miss their father' cooking.I am making my spaghetti special this evening and this has always been winner. I also am keeping myself active, moving and doing things and looking at what was and now become, the kids are adults and the homes have seen better days. I see boredom and uncertainty in the eyes of many as they try to hide from me their inner concerns so I am not touched by sadness while a guest at their homes. I saw what an old man would see when he visits his old haunts and met his old friends and families, how they have fared thus far in my life. guessing what their life would be like when I am dead and gone. Will I be remembered? Will I become just another blur in their consciousness or would I become a model for them to use when relating to their children; look at what have become of him! I was pretty much psycho analyzing myself as I exposed myself to the people who had known me for the most part of my life. My brothers and sisters, my nephews and nieces, their children, my closest friends, their wives and kids; and they call me 'Sir, some of them. These are the people who watered my plants and wash my dishes, people whose lives has touched me and I theirs; they are my witnesses. I was their witness. 






   


   

No comments: