Sunday, April 05, 2020

C.G. Jung - Revisited.

Almost a month now that i have refrained from making a post like ever since the Virus hits the fan in the pandemic way. My mind has been sent in a spin as i am faced with new challenges and exposed to new possibilities. The Azan or call to prayer is coming from the State mosque even as i am typing and in itself i know that the call would not draw too many to the mosque due to the restrictions. The Muezin or caller even sounds sad and distant as though God Him -self is observing social distancing. I vowed no to write about the pandemic but it almost seem impossible as the subject is attached to my consciousness like a virus. So here I am making an effort to jump start my blog entry after a few weeks of retreat from this, what has become a habitual although somewhat rewarding activity. 

I have been spending a whole lot of my time entertaining my Face Book friends and also watching movies on Netflix while also listening to music and lectures on You Tube; the normal things most of us do when at home and more so these days when forced to stay at home. I am also taking my time reading the works of Carl Jung a very tough read as most who attempted to would testify.I am now working on his works on the Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious, translated R.F.C Hull. This is one of the books from the complete or almost collection of Jug's works I have which I stumbled upon and bought from the 'Jimat' or Trift Store a second hand outlet that belonged to the Salvation Army. My daughter loves going to this store to find good quality second hand clothing. It is not an easy reading as I said especially when I have my two adult children to content with due to the lock down. My daughter has just been laid off from work by her boss for obvious reason and my son finds out that he has to do work making sales online.

So I am going to share a little of what i have read of Jung that has resonate my own self discoveries over the years.

"I usually describe the Supraordinate personality as the "self" thus making a sharp distinctive between the ego, which, as is well known, extends only as far as the conscious mind and the 'whole' of personality, which includes the unconscious as well as the conscious component. The ego is thus related to the self as part to whole. To that extent the self is superordinate...Because of its unconsciousness component the self is so far removed from the conscious mind that it can only partially expressed by human figures;  the other part of it has to be expressed by objective, abstract symbols. The human figures are father ans son, mother and daughter, King and Queens, God and Goddes. Theriomorphic, ( Gods having animal forms), symbols are dragon, snake, elephants, lion, bear and other powerful animals, or again the spider, crab, butterfly, beetle, worm, etc. These lead to the geometrical figures like the circle, the sphere, the square, the quaternity, the clock, the firmament, and so on. The indefinite extent of the human unconscious component makes a comprehensive description of the human personality impossible...."

The above quote just about encapsulates the beginning lines of my lifelong mantra or mental auto suggestion which i have been evoking for many years now,;

"I am Whole, Complete and Perfect,
 Strong and Powerful, Loving and Compassionate..."

Jung's quote has now put the word 'whole' in my Mantra on whole higher level or lower for that matter. The 'I' or the self too has become more clarified in its nature in relationship to the whole.
The ego has been placed in its own state in comparison to the rest of the self and the whole. Its not that I had grasp whatsoever in the past of these statures of the human personality, it is so well put by Jung in this case, which is why he is known as the," Poet of the Mind." To understand Jung is like unraveling the mysteries of the Universal Consciousness itself.

No comments: