Tuesday, October 29, 2019

When you got to wait, Meditate!

I was at the road and transport department office this morning to renew my road tax and I noticed that I had fifty people ahead of my number. I cou;d have left and come back the next day as my road tax still has two more days to expire but i decided to wait it out and instead i walked to my car and got a C.G.Jung book and returned.n I sat on the floor with my insurance papers which were wrapped in a plastic envelop placed it under me butt. I sat there reading for almost an hour and in glancing ahead of me I noticed that there was half a circle of empty space in front of me and the crowd waiting had died down to quiet whispers. Time flew fast and before I knew it my turn was up. I felt releived and at the same time thankful that i always had a book in my car to read in times like this; this to me was meditation in action. At times I would shut my eyes and listen to all the noises that going around me breathing deeply and settling myself down to wait and soon even the noises faded away to an almost silence with ten to twenty around me staring and fingering at the hand phones.

Was it the the power of silence within that affects what was before a room full of  irritated folks and loud children to become quiet? Who can say? But i have done on many occasions and found it to have the same result, like something about a man reading quietly in the corner that makes others become more conscious of themselves being loud for no apparent reason. I found out too that it was more effective had I been doing my sketching instead of just reading. The act of becoming absorbed into oneself with no self conscious is a potent act towards calming those around you. I remember once sitting at the lounge at Narita Airport in Japan where people were not too happy about a long delayed flight where I sat and decided to sketch the scene from a distance and soon they all started to settle down while stealing glances my way. It was as though they became self conscious at their own discomfort and decided that it was better to just settle down and read or listen to their music on the walkman. A Japanese lady walked over to me and offered me a bottled drink with a big smile on her face as she bowed and walked away.

It was not my intention to become a crowd controller as i was just as tired and bored as the rest of them and my action was my way of killing time. I have also made it my habit not to make too many eye contacts with people in a crowd and when i do i always nod my head or do ahalf bow like I am  greeting the person and look away. One of the hardest thing was to not stare at half naked women in front of me as my mind has the tendency to imagine what it would be like and this is when I would find myself trapped into being a aprt of the crowd that  have lost any sense of focus and would look for an escape like head for the bar or a smoke .I realized that my mind is like a sponge and would cling to anything that excites the senses, thus guarding mymind from beig distracted by external stimuli has also become over the eyars a form of meditation.
# meditation, law of attraction

No comments: