Thursday, October 24, 2019

My Homestay at Rafi's in Kuala Terengganu.

 I woke up to the crows of the roosters  twice every night, once at about 3;am and then at about five just before the call to the morning prayer that came from at least  four different mosques around  the area. It came to a point where I would compare who was the best Muezin or Bilal as I listened on the loudspeakers. The best azan I heard thus far was the one that came from the Penang State Mosque located within sight of my home in Penang. Even as I am making this entry the call to prayer just came on form the two mosques close to my home. Both are not as good in their performance but it serves the purpose calling the faithful to their need.   
For fourteen days I spent sleeping on a carpeted floor of Rafi's second rented house, (he rented two next to each other), and most of the time was spent writing, reading or playing one of the guitars of which Rafi has five, one of which Rafi gave me for free to take home with me to Penang.
All the years I had lived in Terengganu raising my two children my friend Mohamad Rafi was my closest friend more so than my own family. His honesty and straight forwardness with his opinions and his genuine care for my family had helped me through many a trying times. Rafi or better known to his friends as Pok Pi, is from Penang originally and thus we have good understanding and respect for one another. He was transferred from Penang to the East Coast working for the 'Coast Guard' and later the Marine Police department where he met and married his wife a Terenggnau lady and they have five childrend who all called me ' Sir. Sir because of the fact that I used to teach the children English on my spare times along with some 25 other kids from the neighborhood for free. Today I am still Sir to these wherever I meet them and most have children of their own already. 
I spent many a nights sleeping on this cartpet with the fan on to keep the mosquitoes away from having a feast on me and my body suffered from aches and pains all over from the cold. I was not purturbe by these as I had pledged myself to rough it out if not just to put my body to a rigorous routine in order to get back in shape.So I do my Yoga routine to work out the kinks upon waking up.


It was not the first time I had spent sleeping in this house as I had slept here in my past visits and I believe it is slightly haunted. All night long I would be woken up by loud noises from the roof and under the house, but I was not disturbed much by it as I have had worse experiences in the past while staying out in the foothills of Lintang Organic farm in Sik, Kedah all br myself. The unseen can be intimidating only if one is weak in mind and spirit or so it is said and I ea roof had fallen down njoy the challenge. I woke up one night from a loud bang which I thought .had crashed over the car porch outside so I got up and looked out the window and noticed no such thing then I looked into the house behind me and saw that a whole stack of metal bed framing had slammed to the wooden floor. I was not shocked to bby the Animals.my surprise and jsut said out loud, "So long as I am not hurt physically I am fine with it." I picked up a guitar and start singing my favorite rune,"House of the Rising Sun" by the Animals and went back to sleep after.   
   
                                                   

No comments: