Thursday, September 20, 2018

A chat with God - 1.( A Fiction)

"So, you think you know it all", he asked me.
" No I don't," I replied,"and I don't think i want to either, not everything is worth knowing and some are best left not known."
"So, why do you keep on asking the same bloody questions if you think you already know the answers?" He went on.
" Cause i wish to understand better that which I already know, I don't trust my own mind, it is worse than the coyote or the trickster, making me think I know who I am, for one thing.Do you know who you are?" I fired back a question at him.
"I am God!" He answered without any hesitation. His spontaneity threw me off balance, I was stumped.
"NO! Really?!" I looked at Him with a disappointment, wondering to myself that this guy has flipped, too much of that 'rokok daun', perhaps even even laced with the ganja., or maybe too much of the local brew of 'biak' or ketum.
" I am the omnipotent and all pervading one consciousness, the Lord of the Universe, the Atma Brahman, the All Mighty Allah, the God of Abraham and Isaac, I am the great Spirit Waka Tanka, I am whatever that you see me to be, Tat Tvam Asi, I Am That."
"So if you are God, what are you doing here. now?" The only thing that came to my mind.
"Having a chat with you, if it is okay, if you are not too busy. These days it is not easy to find someone with time on their hand or their mind quiet enough to chat with." He started to roll his rokok as we sat there pondering the ramifications of this moment in time and space and me meeting my Maker. After an eternity of silence, or so it seemed i asked Him.
"What really brought you here?"
"Talking brought me here." He replied almost to himself.
"What brought you here? " I asked again to make sure that i understood what I had heard.
"Talking brought me here." He answered a little louder this time with a silly grin on his face revealing his missing teeth and the black remains of what was once there.
" I do not follow you, please explain."
"You should." He looked at me with the same silly grin and with a twinkle in his worn out eyes, 
" I do not mean it that way.."
"I know what you mean, just playing with you," and He continued after lighting up his smoke, " Let me tell of a story of a hunter whose life was undone,  as he set out into the forest at the break of dawn. I think this line is from a song I once heard a long time ago. Anyway, as he set about sniffing around in the bushes looking for a possible prey he stumbled upon a human skull that must have been there for quite sometime as it was all bleached out almost white to the bone as the say."
"Well, well, well! What have we here?" The hunter asked out loud, "What brought you here?" he went on, all excited in finding a human skull in the middle of nowhere."
"Talking brought me here." a reply came out of nowhere loud and clear. The hunter took a step back and fell on his behind shocked with bewilderment. 
"What brought you Here?!" The hunter eyes wide and spear ready pointed at the skull before him just in case it could do more than just speak, asked again"What brought you hear?!"
"Talking brought me here, you fool! What kind of a hunter are you who is hard at hearing!" 
The hunter beside himself with excitement jumped back and spun around yelling and screaming towards the village, yelling his story at every woodsmen he met along the way and the women who carried the water on their heads headed for the village on their way back from the river. As he approached the village the children ran after him yelling and screaming about finding a talking skull in the forest. Soon the whole village was in an uproar and there was a gathering that gradually build into a frenzy of wanting to know what in heaven's name was going on. The mass of excitement finally woke up the old chief, the village head who had had a busy night entertaining his latest wife, a new addition to his already loaded harem of beautiful ladies.
"Guards! The old Bull yelled out. When two of his bodyguards laid prostrated before him he demanded, "What in the devil's name is going on out there?!" The Chief yelled ad the frightened men shaking his fist full of anger like a lion woken from its nap. 
"Someone found a human skull in th forest, O Great Mamba!" one of the guards answered shivering with fear.
"So!" The old Bull yelled, "what's special about a human skull found the forest?"
" This skull speaks, O Great One!"
" A skull that speaks! This I got to see and it better not be some funny joke that has cost me my beauty sleep and not to mention upsetting my fifteen wives from their sleep!  Gather my warriors,we leave at once."
Outside an excited crowd had gathered  and at the head of the gathering stood the hunter foaming at his mouth, jostled around by those demanding more answers from him. All fell silent as the Old Bull stood before them at the entrance to his domain. His eyes blazed with anger, his hands firmly resting on his broad hips, he stared at his people one by one as though he was about to pick out his breakfast for that morning.
"Who  found this talking skull that is in the forest?!" He asked with a controlled and soft voice like that of a black mamba.
" It, it is I,O Great and August One!" The hunter crawled on his hands and knees towards the Chief, "It is out there and it speaks! This I swear upon my ancestor's graves, may they rest in peace."
" If what you claim is true, take me to see this skull for myself!" The Chief signaled his warriors to lead the way towards the forest with the hunter ahead of them and the whole village behind them. After sometime the whole village came to a halt before a human skull resting in the bushes where the hunter had found it. The bleached bone laid there looking at the crowd through its empty sockets where eyes were once used to be.
"Well?!" Roared the Chief, "Make it speak! I want hear what it has to say!"
The hunter timidly approached the skull and yelled,
"What brought you here?!" and there was no answer from the skull. It just sat there staring back at the crowd through two large holes that used to be where the eye balls were. "What brought you here?!" the hunter repeated himself again and again, louder and louder and more desperate each time as he notice the Chief was getting restless and stomping his feet and shaking his fist. The skull laid there on the ground with its silly grin staring at the hunter, the Chief and the whole village like it was enjoying a private joke inside its empty skull.
" Enough!" The Chief roared at last, "I have been pulled  out of my bed and made a fool of in the forest! Off with his head!" And with tis he returned to the village leaving behind him the hunter's headless form. Where once there was one, now there are two skulls that laid in the forest.

     



    

No comments: