Wednesday, September 24, 2014

What is "Fana'?

What is action? What can I do to help alleviate the suffering, stop the degeneration that is going on of my society, not in the future but now, in the present moment and action not based on the past. Is there an action that is not conforming to the past or condoning to future action. So what is my responsibility? So what action should i take? What is action? To act according to a formula is no action at all, cause you repeat and that repetition is part of a security and the repetition gives a certain sense of well being, we are stable, we are firm. Is action based on certain memories, certain knowledge, certain past experiences? What is action? What is to act? Not, I will act or I have acted bu to act now!
What shall I  do and realizing the responsibility of it, the greatness of it. So is there an action that is not of the past and conforming to the future.? These are questions that  the late Jedu Krishnamurti ask in one of his talks  and I realized that i had to get off my duff and do something worthwhile for the day, by worthwhile i mean something which would be creative and productive.This is one thing i know i am good at and if i can get myself to start at it i might just jump start myself into the next phase of my practice and that is to put meditation into action. I have been spending a whole lot of time sitting on my butt and practically observing every single though that arises and every form of experiences that i had gone through past present and into the future as I also project my experiences before they happen. How do i bring this practice of mindfulness meditation or Vipassana Insight meditation to my daily actions now that it is time to move on and face the external and all that it has in store.
A meditative state of mind actually does not begin or end once you have discovered its potential, it is only a matter of how intensely one is in tune with one's state of consciousness that changes from moment to moment. There will times when you totally 'loose it' and find yourself right back on square one of mental drudgery and delusions and this is when you find you are in the grips of your inherent neurosis and psychotic tendencies; you are back to being the fool that you are. Then there are times when you feel so heightened that you are capable of manifesting anything your mind desires or whatever you intend to happen. will happen, "Kun faya kun!" "Be, and it Is." This is the states of mindfulness that fluctuates throughout one's daily course of living that is if one's practice is not complete and established. There much yet to be covered in terms of arriving at the liberated stage of one who has gone beyond and these stages are only achievable by those who practice within a cloister of practitioners who with like minded dedication and persistent and perseverance can help one to reach the other shore safely. Without special guidance and instructions from a qualified teacher or Guru, such meditation practices like Vipassan cannot be undertaken without detrimental effects to the practitioner.
Over the years my practice of meditation has evolved very slowly and gradually leading up to this moment when i feel like I have touched its surface and have a little understanding on the workings of my mind and how to contain it whenever it gets carried away like it often does. I have a long time since accepted the fact that my mind is short of being a "mess' since i was a child and i have tried to unraveled as much as i could of the whys and whens and hows in my journals earlier and now in my Blogging. As i might have mentioned year ago in one of my entries that i have tired to commit suicide twice and was asked to confide a shrink while living in San Francisco and i was an alcoholic and a drug addict a great part of my young adult life; I was a lost cause and threw away a few great relationship in the process. So if asked why the hell am I doing all these, my answer is I need to keep my sanity in check and one way this can happen is by exposing all that i can and hope that by so doing I can purify my soul and if nothing else find some peace in me before i die
I also do it with the hope that if by chance i am good at it i might be able to share my discoveries with others. I am no teacher and doubt that i will ever be one when it comes to spiritual practices but i have been through most of the religions in my life and not just through reading and listening but through practice as well and i have found in all i have come to accept Allah and Islam as my faith and religion. I think no less of other faith and respect the beliefs of others without with understanding and as for Buddhism for me it is not a religion but a Way of life. Buddhism is one man's answers to the question of life and the suffering  that man endures in life. No other religion is more thorough and direct in facing the trials and tribulations that man has to go through from cradle to grave. It is the most complete and systematic approach to the the question of how to live this life despite its travails. However Buddhism leads me up the Gate and to step through this gate and beyond I need to have unfailing faith in the All Mighty Creator, Lord of the Worlds and Lord of the Hereafter Allah Subhana huwa Taala. To step into absolute emptiness is unfathomable to this still ignorant mind of mine. Only the Buddha's teachings can lead me to Fana' or emptiness and in the state of Fana' only my Lord exist for I, am no more.

Encyclopedia Article for fana
("to pass away," or "to cease to exist"), the complete denial of self andthe realization of God that is one of the steps taken by the Muslim Sufi(mystic) toward the achievement of union with God. Fana may be attainedby constant meditation and by contemplation on the attributes of God,coupled with the denunciation of human attributes. When the Sufisucceeds in purifying himself entirely of the earthly world and loses himselfin the love of God, it is said that he has "annihilated" his individual will and"passed away" from his own existence to live only in God and with God.


Fanaa is the Sufi term for extinction. It means to annihilate the self, while remaining physically alive. Persons having entered this state are said to have no existence outside of, and be in complete unity with, Allah. Fanaa is equivalent to the concept of nirvana in Buddhism and Hinduism or moksha inHinduism which also aim for annihilation of the self.
Abu Yazid al-Bistami approached the Divine Presence and “knocked on the gate”. He was asked, “Who is there?” “I have come, Oh my Lord”, replied Abu Yazid. He was told: “There isn’t any place here for two. Leave your ego behind and come”. When Abu Yazid once again approached the Divine Presence and was asked who it was, he said: “You, oh Lord”.

No comments: