Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Reminding myself of my Path

Immaturity lies only in total ignorance of self


The question of whether or not there is a God or truth or reality, or whatever you like to call it, can never be answered by books, by priests, philosophers or saviours. Nobody and nothing can answer the question but you yourself and that is why you must know yourself. Immaturity lies only in total ignorance of self. To understand yourself is the beginning of wisdom.
J.Krishnamurti
Freedom from the Known,12
Most of us will not venture too far into making it our life effort when it comes to understanding who we really are. We tend to take for granted and often forget to keep reminding ourselves that we are not really who we think we are and we become a thought created entity existing in space and time. We live our lives in a thought and time dominated existence falling victims to pressures and stress due to the unnecessary need to conform to these elements; we live for tomorrow, the future. I am guilty of this ignorance just as most are and often times I would try to steer myself back into the present moment and be in this present state of Being. Be here Now! The teachers of old and new keeps reminding us to not stray from Being in the moment, being in the presence state of mind where nothing and everything takes place, but most of us, my self especially, is easily dissuaded from being in the here and Now. Distractions comes in many forms and the most common of these distractions are the day to day vexations which keeps the mind unnecessarily busy and occupied.
We are most busy when are doing nothing and the mind becomes restless and agitated from lack of activity. Hence even when I am not doing anything in particular I feel tired from thinking what i should be doing. To be totally free from thoughts is a great effort for many, however, having the knowledge and understanding of achieving this is real freedom. The freedom to Be, to Act, to Function with effortlessness can only be achieved through the absence of the thinking mind. We cannot develop a non-thinking mind but it has to happen through total awareness of what it takes to silence the mind. It usually takes a very simple effort like taking a deep breath or looking at nature with bare-attention, or listening to the sounds manifesting all around you without any particular reason or attachment. The mind can be stopped when consciousness takes over the present moment and the state of just Being manifest itself.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”

― Stephen Hawking

To some,'Ignorance is bliss', while to most of us humans ignorance can mean living is darkness while being blind. We would rather accept our lot as dust in the winds of time and space while we are present on the face of this planet- just occupying space, making little or no difference towards the betterment of ourselves and our society or the world at large. And God asked me, what have you accomplished with the lifespan I have endowed you with? and I would answer, if i could, 'My Lord, I have written a lengthy blog in my effort discover who I really am and in the process of doing this I have lived my life such that my blog is made more interesting to read for those who seek knowledge and understanding. I made mistakes and took chances, gambled and squandered, and I have served my fellow man, women and child to the best of my ability whenever I can. As I have been granted the talent of being and artist I have done my best to Be and Artist.
J.Krishnamurti was not advocating the non existence of 'Whatever', to my understanding he was trying to make me see for myself that in order to see the Universe as itself, as a whole i will have to stop my thinking mind, the mind that grasp, cling on to, and the mind that identifies with whatever that it encounters in all shapes and form. The Unknown is not known through what the mind sees but through the absence of mind itself. One, Ahad, that which truly exist is One, when the "you' cease to exist, the Universe Is, God Is....I am, that I am.
One has to remain always at the 'Ground Zero" to appreciate the impact, at the heart of the flames to feel its heat; total consciousness, absolute presence, Being  in the eye of a Hurricane, this is liberation from forms and the 'one step beyond' into awakening  of wisdom. When the state of Satori expresses itself one is not there to enjoy it; One is it. No teacher dealt with the state of mind is so much depth as Krishnamurti who took almost his entire life to be able to utter his one secret to an audience in Switzerland, 'I don't mind what happens." That's it, that was all he uttered what his life's secret was, according to Eckhart Tolle in his book 'A New Earth."  This simple admission of accepting life as it is, ( to my understanding), is liberation itself. The Buddhas of old would have agreed with this simple truth, just as the Muslim scholars would, that in understanding the nature of the mind and the thought dominated our existence we can unclock or unlock our cage of ignorance.
Words! "What is needed is more Lightning in the hand and less thunder in the Mouth," the Old Chief said. It takes some effort and gets easier as soon as you begin the journey of self discovery, it becomes one of your practices in life. Something you can identify with as a point of reference to get back to whenever you find yourself drifting too far away from what is Real; that quality of, Being Human. The truth no matter how great or small lies within you, God wants you to discover from within yourself who He Is; there is no greater meaning to life than Being in the presence of the Lord in every moment of one's life. I Am, That,I Am.


No comments: