Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Time to Say Farewell to Ubud
















While walking back from the Sika Gallery towards town, a long walk actually I came to the feeling that my stay in Ubud is over. All that I need to do, to see and taste has been fullfilled and I have covered pretty much ground and cultural events to qualify me for my stay here. I was at the Sika gallery for a short while as it does not impress me much nor does the artist himself who having lived abroad for a number of years, in Switzerlad primarily was a little aloof. Most of the works there are modern art which does not really cater to my 'old school taste at present as I could see these anywhere in the world.
This morning I visited the Museum Puri Lukisan located on the same road closer to the town and this was alot more interesting as it had all the old masters's works. The works of the late Ida Bagus Made (1915-1999) was impressive as the artist himself was a controversial character and afew of hius works on display suggested so. The picture of him on the wall as an elderly gentleman in his sarong and white hair reminded me very much of my Grandfather. He was considered the most talented eccentric and controversial bali Painter of the 20th Century. His teacher was the late Rudolf Bonnet. Strong character and unwavering convictions made him a controversial artist who refused to sell his works at the art galleries in Ubud for he considered it to be commerciallism. His works were sold to selected collectors. His works were sold to the UN Head quarters in New York, the New York Museum of Modern Art, The Royal Tropical Institute in Amsterdam and was also owned by the former President Soekarno of Indonesia. At his death he left one hundred paintings to be left for the gallery and future generations.
A Life of Art, an Art of Devotion.
Rudolf Bonnet was born in Amsterdam, Holland., arrived in Bali and introduced the ideologie, techniques and materials of western art to Bali. He formed the Pita Maha Artist guild in 1936 including many renowned artist of the time.
Later sat and chat with a Dutch couple who were learning Mask Painting from an artist who has a shop at the gallery. Ciana, is also a apinter and we exchanged many ideas and thoughts while it was raining heavily all around the small hut we sat in. It was a pleasant feeling to be able to relax and enjoy the rain while surrounded by a beautiful garden.
I will write more on tis later as it cost oo much to spend on details in this matters. I am writing just to remind myself of how I am feeling at present, tired , aching bodilly all over from too much walk and disappointment at my son the high flyer who does not call of answer my emails. Such is life...

No comments: