Thursday, July 02, 2020

Shedding some light on mind/Mind and how it works - Jung.

"Knowledge of that which is vulgarly called mind is widespread." This clearly refers to the conscious mind of everybody, in contrast to the One Mind which is unknown, i.e., unconscious. These teachings will also be sought after by ordinary individuals who, not knowing the One Mind, do not themselves." Self knowledge is here definitely identified with knowing the One Mind, which means that knowledge of the unconscious is essential for any understanding one's own psychology. The desire for such knowledge is a well established fact in the Wast as evidenced by the rise in psychology in our time and a growing interests in these matters...Even if one wishes," to know the mind as it is, one fails...because it is unconscious...The One Mind is the unconscious, since it is characterized as "eternal, unknown, not visible,not recognized...However yet ever clear, ever existing, radiant and unobscured...the more one one concentrates on one's unconscious content the more they become charged with energy; they become vitalized as if illuminated from within...The 'seeing of reality' clearly refers to Mind as the supreme reality...The 'seeing of the Mind' implies self liberation...the more weight were attach to unconscious processes the more we detach ourselves from the world of desires and of separated opposites, and the nearer we draw to the state of unconsciousness which is the quality of oneness, indefiniteness and timelessness. This is truly a liberation of the self from its bondage to strife and suffering."By this method one's mind is understood."

I came upon the above long quote by C.G.Jung from reading his text on  a commentary he wrote for the, Tibetan Book of the Great Liberation. I read this early this morning and I felt like the 'Poet of the Mind', himself came to my aid in trying to figure out how to further explain what the Mind/mind is in order to continue my posting from the previous night. Yes, of late i find that the knowledge i seek for comes to me ever so readily and I try not to get too excited about the coincidences or small miracles as I would call them. I am no researcher and so i do not go around looking for information before i write, I allow for them to come, or not. However i would highly recommend for those who are interested in knowing more to read Jung's work, Psychology and the East. It would of great benefit for Westerners, those who have the desire to further understand the difference between East and Western thoughts on spirituality and perhaps be able to bridge the two for one's own benefit of Right Understanding.

I will not venture to go beyond what I have already extracted from Jung's work for now but will do so at a later date if and when needed. I have yet to fully grasp at the true meaning of his works and so will not venture any further except with careful steps lest i am led to confusion and misinterpretation. Thus far i know i have been gifted towards a little realization as to what I am aiming at in understanding the workings of my own mind, a mind that has embraced the life style of both East and West over the years. I do not consider myself and eastern or western thinker but I hold a greater understanding of both through my life experiences having lived in the East and the West and making my studies through both sources of east and western thoughts and ideas of great minds of both sides of the coin. East and West are no more a dichotomy to my mental, and spiritual perception having lived both in the east and west for a good many years of my life. An added dimension to this was the fact that I had lived for three years in Japan where I consider it to be the transition point on my life before i returned to the east after having spent twenty one years in the United States.

I have always accepted that my mind is not your average mind of an average person who is born and raised under normal circumstances like parents of the same racial group, raised in an environment of close family ties and religious faith, same village same type of people. I was born as a twin and given away for adoption at birth while my twin brother was raised by my parents. I was raised as a Buddhist by my uncle who adopted me and for twelve years of my life remained so. In a house full of Muslim relatives my uncle and I were the only Buddhist, however in order to fit in I also practiced Islam unknown to my uncle. In short my childhood life was a mess as far as faith and religion was concern, I was playing hide and seek with everyone around me including those in school as I grew up. At the risk of repetition I will say no more on the matter but suffice to say I am the way I am simply because I has been exposed to the subject of religion, faith and spirituality at a very young age.

No comments: