Thursday, July 29, 2010

And The Show must go onnn...







So far i counted almost two hundred foreign visitors have dropped by to see my works and some sat and chatted about art and life in general. A couple of days ago a couple from Milwaukee, Wisconsin dropped by and was surprised to learnwed that i had lived in Green Bay and Milwaukee. I told them about my life in the Packing houses as well as the bars and taverns i used to hung out at in Green Bay. The Farr's grove in Duck Creek, Brown County where my late mother in law Mrs Beatrice Goerst was a regular. And then there was Jake's Pizza located on Main Street, downtown Green Bay where I frequented like my pit stop after my printmaking sessions at the UWGB. I wonder if Jake is still running the joint.
Yesterday a Greek by the name of Pericles dropped in and we had a nice long talk about life and I tried my two cents worth of Zen approach on him which i think flew right through him or over his head as he seemed preoccupied with his own load of suffering and eager to find short term solutions and answers. The Greeks in my expereince like to think and if you try to tell them that thinking is the key to their misery the will think you to death, just about every greek i had the opportunity to get acquainted with were great thinkers but poor at relationships especially with the opposite sex. perhaps its the Zeus syndrome or the Apolo Creed coplex of being God's gift to Love and Beauty. All in all I like the greeks for their directness and firm believe in their principles especially when it comes to phylosophical discussions. One of my closest friend living in San Jose, California is a Greek and I learned a great many things about life from him and maybe him from me.
A French lady by the name of Alex.. dropped in and hung out at the Gallery a few days, she had just recovered from a stomach cancer and a broken home and now has found a new lease on life and opted to do some travelling as a recuperating therapy, it seems to be working for her as she seemed happy and rejuvinated. She is now on her way to Cambodia via Thailand. Sue is from Wales and has been living in Bali her second home after having left behind her past 'unhappy' life and is now back in Europe somewhere. Most interesting character that dropped in at the gallery was a guy from Venezuela who quit his good paying job as a financial consultant to travel and take a walk on the wild side of life. he too seemd to have found some new meaning to his life from the manner in how he talked. A young Japanese writer in the Japanese manner of expression was very thrilled by my works and the fact that I had lived in Japan.
Each and everyone of these travellers who dropped by reminded me of myself as a traveller in the past, how i used to drop into local joints and studios by chance and meeting an interesting character or two who helped to shift my gear along my journey, whether to speed it up or slow it down as the situation demanded. They are many travellers who seem to be somewhere else and never where they were at. Their minds has gone ahead eventhough their body still lingers behind trying to see what is before them. Many have the traveller's guide in theri hand or a map of the area figuring out how to or where to next hardly noticing what is around them where they are at. Manuy carry with them baggage on their backs and more hanging down their necks and these more than often would have little time to even stop for a breather much less for a conversation. Most are suspicious when they are invited to drop in and would politely decline and moved on like you are about to deprive them of their sous, its an art gallery, for crying out loud!!

No comments: