Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Dream Catcher - Stephan King


Here's Looking at you, Sir!
 About ten more pages to finish reading Stephan King's "The Dream Catcher", it took me almost a week off and on and more so my eyes are not what they used to be.Saw the movie a long time ago but was not fully into it and did not catch the story, but now having read the book I look forward to seeing the movie again. An odd thing happened when I was giving an art class at the Convent Green Lane last Monday, out of the blue one of the more smarter attentive Malay girl came up tome and handed me a 'Dream Catcher.' I asked her do you know what this is? Dream catcher! She shot back. I told her i had just started reading the book and it is sitting in the car.What are the odds? She has her own in the house; it is uplifting to find that reading is still alive.
I enjoyed the story and Stephen King is no doubt a 'Dream Weaver' in my book when it comes to spinning the yarn no author can surpass him as yet especially in his stories depicting the daily lives of your average Joes living in the small abandoned towns scattered all over the United States; I felt like I was given a nostalgic joy ride reminding me of my life and travels through similar small towns more so in the Mid West. But the story itself got my attention because it deals precisely with the workings of the human mind, its thoughts, and emotions and how far reaching it can take you if you learn to develop it. Although it is another fiction it is very well thought short of miraculous in the workings of a creative mind. I can go on and on about the book but it will be boring for those who don't like to read novels. For me it is a matter of keeping tabs on what my mind attracts to itself in the form of readings; what would i read next? Books lately has the uncanny habit of falling into my hands, books that seemed very related to my practice of being in the here and now.
Stephen Edwin King is an American author of contemporary horror, suspense, science fiction and fantasy. His books have sold more than 350 million copies and have been adapted into a number of feature films, television movies and comic books. WikipediaBorn: September 21, 1947 (age 66), Portland, Maine, United States

Spouse: Tabitha King (m. 1971)
Movies and TV shows: Under the Dome, It, The Shining, The Shawshank Redemption, The Mist, Carrie, The Green Mile, Stand by Me, Haven, Misery, The Stand, Storm of the Century, 1408, Rose Red, The Running Man, Stephen King's Desperation, Bag of Bones, Creepshow, Secret Window, Cat's Eye, Thinner, Sleepwalkers, Pet Sematary, Maximum Overdrive, Cujo, Christine, Dreamcatcher, The Dead Zone, Nightmares and Dreamscapes: From the Stories of Stephen King, Kingdom Hospital, The Langoliers, Silver Bullet, The Dark Tower, The Lawnmower Man, Apt Pupil, Dolores Claiborne, The Night Flier, Children of the Corn, Firestarter, Dolan's Cadillac, The Tommyknockers, Needful Things, Graveyard Shift, Hearts in Atlantis, Riding the Bullet, Trucks, The Mangler, Salem's Lot, Sometimes They Come Back, 'Salem's Lot More
Except for Karim, all the other three of my children enjoys reading, Karim will pick it up I am sure once he runs out of movies to watch or left out in th wilds where there is no Computer or videos to entertain him. I do not mind  if that is where he is at right now but I am afraid he will have many a rude awakening when he finds it a little bit too late when shit hits the fence, like his studies. I can only lead the horse to the water, I cannot make him drink.I was fortunate to have had my eldest brother's influences when it comes to reading. he was an English Language teacher in High school and had a great collections of  comic books and novels, Playboy magazines and Erotica's. I read Lady Charley's lover when i was thirteen and My Secret life by ?Miller at about the same time which included the 'Midnight Scholar' or the Prayer Mat of Flesh by LI Yutang. Among other things they helped to improve my English if not my mind. I owe it to my brother 'Spike' for how I have lived my life and the books and novels i had read in the sixties while a atudent at the Sultan Sualaiman Secondary School had fed me with knowledge that i later was able to savour in real life experiences. James Michener
James Albert Michener (/ˈmɪtʃnər/;[1] February 3, 1907 – October 16, 1997) was an American author of more than 40 titles, the majority of which were sweeping family sagas, covering the lives of many generations in particular geographic locales and incorporating historical facts into the stories. Michener was known for the meticulous research behind his work.[2]

Michener's major books include Tales of the South Pacific (for which he won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1948), Hawaii, The Drifters, Centennial, The Source, The Fires of Spring, Chesapeake, Caribbean, Caravans, Alaska, Texas, and Poland. His nonfiction works include the 1968 Iberia about his travels in Spain and Portugal, his 1992 memoir The World Is My Home, and Sports in America. Return to Paradise combines fictional short stories with Michener's factual descriptions of the Pacific areas where they take place.[2]
 I enjoyed the African continent and its vast expanse in Wilbur Smith's adventurous stories.
Wilbur Addison Smith is a best-selling novelist. His writings include 16th and 17th century tales about the founding of the southern territories of Africa and the subsequent adventures and international intrigues relevant to these settlements. Wikipedia
In the world of espionage and clandestine operations none can match to works of Robert Ludlum and Tom Clancy. Ludlum's Jason Bourne sagas has become an icon of the movie screen for those who enjoy spy thrillers.
Robert Ludlum was an American author of 27 thriller novels. The number of copies of his books in print is estimated between 290 million and 500 million. They have been published in 33 languages and 40 countries. WikipediaBorn: May 25, 1927, New York City, New York, United States

Died: March 12, 2001, Naples, Florida, United States
Movies: The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Legacy, The Bourne Supremacy, The Bourne Ultimatum, Covert One: The Hades Factor, The Osterman Weekend, The Holcroft Covenant, The Apocalypse Watch, The Chancellor Manuscript ..More



    

No comments: