Wednesday, September 18, 2013

My final Farewell to Ma'Cik Noni

After the funeral the same evening I was at my cousin Zakaria's home attending an engagement ceremony for his daughter. The theme for the occasion was to be Arabian Night...everyone in the 'Jubah' the men and the ladies and there was even a shisha set up in the driveway. My cousin outdid himself again as is his nature, not to show off but to share wealth in all its forms together with his family, relatives and friends, To be able to do what he did is no small feat not to mention the cost. Kudos for my cousin someone who has always been there for me financially as well as spiritually.
It was a beautiful evening except that the main fuse caught fire and there was a total blackout and it had to happen just when the guests arrived and everyone was taking their stations, the negotiators, the parents, the big guns in the community of friends, just like an Arab gathering. This ironically made it more 'Romatic ' as the ritual went on despite the circuit breaker burning fro an overload. It was a ceremony by candle lights as the Arab doctor ordered! This was the comment made by the bride to be while she was sitting on the dais entertaining picture taking.
Such Is, life goes on with or without you, you r bury one and celebrate the other ALL ON THE SAME DAY. Spending the rest of the sleeping on the carpet in the living room was welcome but a painful break. Sleeping on sofa cushions is getting to be a habit and it causes more pain than rest for my bones especially the neck and the lower back. But... it is a whole lot better than laying on your back day in day out in the hospital staring emptily at the TV or reading over and over the daily News. The next morning I found myself in Senawang, Negeri Sembilan visiting my one of my cousin's elder brother.
Abang Hasan as everyone calls him was at one time a school teacher and taught at Penang Chinese Girls School way back when. Then became a translator for a local shoe company and has ever sine been its employee, his Chinese employer thought highly of his services that his salary is still current even after his retirement and the company is paying for his medical bills. He told all these after I asked him what his first employment was, I asked because looking up from the news paper i was reading I noticed the pain and boredom in his face as he struggled to grab the water from the bedside table. He needed to be distracted from his condition even if just for a moment, I reached out to bring his consciousness back into the Now away from the compressed and congested feeling often leading despair. The reason I am telling this is also because of the comment he went on to make as soon as others came into the room, 'I am being interviewed, ' It is the manner in which that It is said that makes me feel the same feeling whenever I meet this man: condescending. I was almost pushed to say out loud that No, Sir it was just to see if you have become senile yet, your memory is fine still, sir. If your memory is still ok your mind is ok except it has given hope and the desire to survive, so the option is to lay back and enjoy the quiet and the rest with "Amalan" , Practice. if you need a sidetrack check out the nurses every now and then just to raise your blood pressure and get that heart pumping a little bit faster. This was what i wanted to reply but I chose to be the naive interviewer. Such Is!
All in all my trip to KL was an enlightening experience in more than one way. It was a blessing to be able to be with my relatives especially my cousins who had just lost their mother. I can only say to them to accept and move on. Make her proud!
Tawakal kepada Allah, dalam hidup cari keberkatan dan keradhaan Allah, dan jagan lupa bersyukur kepada Allah!  Al Fatihah!
 

No comments: