Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Sunny - The Portuguese- Faces of Georgetown.

Stopped by the fisherman's warf along the Jelutong Highway to pay a visit to my friend Rosli and drop- off some fliers regarding my upcoming group show at the Penang Malay Art Galery which is located on Chulia Street and Jalan Masjid Kapitan Kling. The show will be launched on the fourth of March and it will be a groups show comprising of fifteen artists from the Georgetown, Penang Area. Each artist is allowed threee of four paintings each depending on the sizes.I will enter three of my New Space Series pieces as an introduction for my next Solo Show which will be at the Alpha Utara Gallery on King Street in Georgetown. I look forward to this shows as I feel the change happening in my style and techniques ant the process seemed more tangible than I have ever felt before.
The "Space Art", series has always been on my mind for a vey lonf time and I used to try expressing it through all the mediums that I play with at the time which is something from charcoal to oils which I am working with these days as far as the series goes. I say so only because i am still continuously sketching with whatever medium on hand and my mind is still in constant process contemplating, reflecting and recording my thoughts as i am in th process of doing right now. It gets hard when the mind gets bogged down with all the daily needs and affairs but them are the breaks!
While I was at the fishermen hangout I met a fellow Buddha who is a few months younger than me and is a Portuguese  by decendant, Malaysian who is from Melaka, man who seem to have tasted life in all it has to offer and my friend Rosli called him McGuiver although his name is Sunny. We had a great time sharing what sixty year olds are capable of sharing if they had anything to share. Most of those that I know of unfortunately have limited capacity for sharing much more than the country's political scenario or the detailed description of the hazards of taking in too much sugar or salt. Thus ever now and then a character shows up on your screen and he has something unique to offer and you feel like you too have just as much to share and then and you have yourself a great meeting of the minds. It happens uninvited and ends with not an expectation, The same happened when my friend David Trevallian vsisted from Bali. Now there too was a character worth every minute of their time and yours.
Life is about relationship, you and me and how we fare in this brief time and space, me and my children, me and my relatives and friends, me and the whole humanity, me and the environment and me and my Maker. What my thoughts are whe my feelings are, and what other have to say about me is all part and parcel of what is called living, it can be exciting as as heaven or boring as hell. To not understand relationship is to not be able to live and life becomes a pain. To be immersed in relationship all throughout your life is to embrace life to the fullest. It is through relationship that we see who we are, what we are and how we can become who we desire to be.You are your relationship to the Universe without being presumptuous or over zealous, you are the world.
This was the gist of what Sunny the Portuguese and Rosli and myself came to share with each other while we sat having a cup of coffee at Rosli's coffee shop by the fisherman's jetty.

No comments: