Monday, November 22, 2010

Green Gulch Farm the Rustic corners..

Hemlocks, I may be wrong about the name of these plants found in abundance in the firelds at green Gulch but it seemed like everyone thought it was so when I was working out there.

The Garden 'Hot House' as it was called was run by Wendy Johnson a great lady and a special friend who was my pillar of support along with her husband Peter Rudnick who manged the farm.



Whenever I look at this wheel barrow sketch I could feel the wooden handle in my palms like a placebo and so with the fork. How much digging and tilling had i done while i was at Green Gulch.


These Stinging Nettles were a pain as their thorns like tiny needles were poisonous to the skin. Brushing against these plants sent electric shocks to your body advoiding them while weeding or harvesting was not an easy task as they grow like all weeds happy and plenty. Their purple flowers are beautiful eventhough they too have the deadly thorns.




The Deer Fence was very tall and stretches all along the hill side to keep the wild deers from getting at the crops of vegetables, but every so often the deers would still be able to jump these fences and had a field day.





The old shack used to house all the farm tools and equipments and it was retreat for some of us who indulged in smoking'weeds' every now and then amidst our practice periods. It helped to let loose and discover some altered states of conciousness other than than what was taught by Shuryu Suzuki Roshi.


One of the cabins built for senior residents located at the entrance to the fields as one takes a walk towards the Paciffic Ocean at Muir Beach.



The old 'Farm Truck' that had srved the community for so many years and in so many ways that it was a miracle that it still ran when I was lving there.



At the Dining Room there was a Samovar and it was like the center piece as far as the Community at Green Gulch went. Make your coffee or tea and keep the samovar filled with water all the time please.


The farm tractor, the machine that kept the fields productive year in year out. Ploughing, tilling, planting, harvesting and laying down pipes for watering among other things.


My friend and Practice Instructor (Tanto)whose hand me down robes i wore during my pratice period at Green Gulch Zen Center. Edward Espe Brown was one of those characters that had inspired me to be who I was and perhaps still am. Ed approached Zen with a great sense of Humour that hid the depth of seriousness in his practice from those who were curious seekers.



Two of my closest brothers and fellow students, Rev.Terry Sutton and Jim Abrams (Bald headed), wihtout these two gentlemen my life at GG would not have been as interesting and productive.



Cattails by the 'Upper Pond' a spot where i had spent many a quiet moments to contemplate my existence messed up as it was while i was living at GG.













1 comment: