Sunday, March 08, 2009

Kokeshi Dolls



































































The Penang State Muzium had an opening of the Japanese Kokeshi Dolls exhibition and I accompanied a member of the Muzium Gallery Tuanku Fauziah USM to the event as a photographer. I wanted to be there too because i have had some interest in the Kokeshi Dolls when I was living in Japan or perhaps as one of the Chinese Dailies photographers retorted to his collegue, simply 'Kepochi' or busybody in Hokien dialect, as I was in his way every now and then getting up close shots of the CM's wife. Perhaps i was, however i was the only Malay who cared enough to take interest in the affair other than the Muzium photographer, so much for sensitivity in a crosscultural environment which is suppose to promote such related activities.

The dolls were originally made for the farmer's children in the rural areas of the Tohoku region of Northern Japan and it later slowly evolved into a fine art. The show was inaugurated by the wife of the Chief Minister of Penang and also present were the Japanese Consulate General and the Director of the Japan Foundation. This was an added bonus for me as i had the opportunity to introduce myself to the Director and told him of my intention of publishing the Sendai Book which is in the process of making. He gave me his card and I gave him mine. However it is unfortunate that he will be leaving soon and be replaced by another but who knows what lay in store in the future as i have at least had my foot stepped into the doorway.
The collection of Kokeshi Dolls put on display were exquisite true to Japanese craftsmanship and aesthetic taste. I was surprised to discover that there were more styles and forms than I had seen before when I was in Japan and the information on these exhibits was very helpful in explaining all their historical as well as their socio- geographical origins.

No comments: