Thursday, April 10, 2008

A banged up Job

On the 30th. of March while driving home with a friend from Argentina after dinner I had an accident on Kelawei Road. A Four Wheel drive rammed my car from behind causing me to smash into three cars ahead of me, such was the impact. I was thankful for my friend Sabastian and I that we escaped injuries especially for Sabastian because he was supposed to leave for Buenos Aires the next day. My car was a disaster front and back and is now at the auto body shop while the insurance claims are being processed. Both sabastian and I suspected that the driver of the 4Wheel drive was drunk and I noticed that so did the other drivers involved expressed the same feeling but because there was no policeman on site there was no way of taking any action on the matter. I got the feeling that my life meant little on the road and the guy who was in control over the whole event was actually the drugged or drunk pony tailed Chinaman in his company's $Wheel drive! So i just let it cool and let things takes its cause while i try to rationalize with Sabastian who being a young Argetinian it would be only a matter of wrong signals that would send him on the Jerk drunk or not like a pit bull on a chicken then all hell will cut loose and instead of just an accident we would have and incident too!
From this accident I learned the simple truth about how things works in this country if there is an accident and often then not there will be no traffic officer on hand but the whole incident will be handled by the autobody shop operators whose hound dogs will be there not five seconds after the accident. They will collect all the datas fromm everyone involved take down numbers and issue call cards on who to contact and so forth and all you have to do is turn up at the police station to make the report which is written by one of their staff for smooth flow of action to be taken. I also learn that except for Sabastian no one gave a damn if i was injured, the other drivers were more concerned of the fact that i had damaged their new cars.
Such Is, now I am back to taking busses to get places and my son has to walk to and from school and for how long God knows. The SOB who caused all these is home scot free as his vehicle being a tough machine sustained hardly any damage and ironically he was the first to have left the scene of the accident and no one could stop him! Had i been ten years younger i would have taken a good swing at him so that there will be a case and I would demand for him to be tested for alcohol or drugs but I am sick and tired of dealing with assholes like I used to. He was a Chinese and so was all the other drivers and every one else at the scene except for my friend and I. Getting physical would not had been the best cause of action at that moment, we were at the wrong place at the wrong time for it. So accept the damages and count your blessings and wait for the car to be fixed, such Is.
My sister in Kuala terengganu called this morning asking me to go there as my brother in law is not doing too good with his cancer bouts, he is giving up the fight and needs someone to talk to. So i will leave for the east Coast Friday night and hopefully my two kids here will have some peace from me being out of their hair. I too could use a break from Penang and the scene here at least an R&R from sketching the street hawkers and old buildings around the island. There will be a show at the Malay Artist Guild gallery next month and they have chosen street hawkers as their theme for the show and so i have been running around doing some sketching of these scenes all over the Georgetown area in the past few days, a blessing for not having the car in a way. At present i am having a solo show at the Penang State Library on Scotland Road. It consists of my monoprits and etchings mostly and a few water colors of the Flowerhorn Fish which i did a few years back. The show is the first for the Library as I was asked by the Director to start the art show programe which was new to the Library.
I keep on doing my oils at home sometime all through the night and when i can i would go to the USM Muzium Gallery and do my Acrylic and charcoal sketchings on the one hundred feet long drawing paper. All I have four exhibitions locations three of them solo exhibitions and one a group show all lined up through this next few months. And as i said I thank God for not being injured in the accident, otherwise god only knows how i can pull it all through. I want to give my best for the upcomig show at the Penang State Art Gallery which would bw the crowning success of my return to my hometown and then after that i hope to be able to sell some pieces at the Alpha Utara Gallery where most of the artworks get sold here. So for one who is unemployed I have got my job cut out for me and i am blessed with this burden for it keeps me from going kaka!

No comments: