Thursday, May 18, 2006

NARNIA

Just finished reading Narnia by C.S.Lewis a book that i had always wanted to read after seeing it being made into a movie. I found the book at the most odd place when I have forgotten all about it. One evening when after having my dinner at the staff canteen at Jerejak Resort and SPA I decided to take my Nepalese helper to the Housekeeping Department and ask for new uniform shrts as his was weather beaten. When I got there I notice a few books sitting by the door and the top most book was Narnia, too good to be true i asked the Housekeeping department head whose it was and he asked me if I lkiked to read and I told him most definitely, you can have it he said, it was left behind by one of the guests. I was estatic but tried hard not to show it, but inside me I was telling myself what a find! The book in Malaysian currency must cost at about 120RM which I most assuredly would not pay for any book these days.
It is a great children's adventure story in fairytales of Aslan the Lion and Narnia the kingdom he created, it was the story of children slipping in and out of fantasy lands of imaginations troguh doorways and clossets. This is not the J.R.Tolkien trilogy of Lord Of the Rings where the adventure involves no time tripping but actually takes place to those who belong to the same environment. I was pleasantly surprised that Lewis and Tolkien knew eachother. Now that i ave read all their books I am happy to see that my son has began reading Narnia, he tried Lord of The Rings but found it harder to read. I hope he picks up the habit to read soon.

No comments: