Saturday, March 06, 2010

San Francisco - 1987

When i first arrived in San Francisco all i had to my nqame was a bagpack on my back and a potfolio filled with prints that i had done at the University of Wiscdonsin Green Bay's printmaking studio. The only contact i had was to meet the newly ordained Zen priest by the name of Junpo Kelly. He is the son of my close friend and fellow printmaker in Green Bay Mrs. Rosella kelly.
What happened after i exited the San Francisco Airport Terminal and ten years later was history.







The longest job I held in San Francisco was with H&H Ship and Environmental Services and the Yard was located on the water front of the bay Area at China Basin on Third Street. I dont think it is there anymore as last i heard they were planning on building a Football Stadium there.
I
I without doubt like everyone else who had been to the bay Area fell in love with the City for all the various reasons. For me it was the people, i found living among San Franciscans for ten odd years from a penniless, homeless bum to a guy driving a Porch across the Golden Gate Bridge just about every weekend was the epitome of the life in the 'Gay Bay'.









The Golden Gate Park was to me and my children a refuge where we spent every hour we could touring its six miles length of all sorts of fun places including its museums and playgrounds. The park was an source of inspiration for me whether playing my flute or sketching and painting, feeding the ducks or just sitting in meditation.



















Some of the most unique sights one can find in a City can be found all over the San Francisco cityscape and getting places from one end of the city to another is a cinch as the public transport system in my view is about one of the best anywhere.

















So, "if you're going to San francisco,
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair,
If you're going to San Francisco,
You gonna meet some gentle people there..."