Thursday, September 10, 2009

What's new and Exciting?...











While hanging out at the poolside of the Equatorial Hotel with the Museum Gallery Boys I made the acquaintance with an Englishman who happened to be sitting alone having a beer. He has a company her in penang processing fire safety fixtures for buildings and visits the island everyonce in a while to catch up on things. He told me that he and a few of his friends including his wife had build the company from scrap and it has beome their retirement breadwinner as all of them had once held regular jobs and utilized their expertise in creating this company. Like his wife a former banker is the accounts dept. head and his commercial designer buddy is the marketting manager and so on. Way to go!
The moon gazing business with the astrology depatment is not going too well as the moon is not being cooperatinve and neither are the skies but people do came to aske questions and take a peek into telescopes just for the hell of it. Breaking fast at the hotel makes up for all of these and I enjoy doing my sketching in public and always getting a good respond from the audience especially the school kids. Fasting has practically worn me out in more than one way as my age might also be catching up with me and so my normal outgoing personality has taken a step back and I find myself becoming alot more mellow and self concious mostly tired and sleepy, lethargic and zombie like kind of feeling.
Yesterday attended the D'Home Mental Health Association of Penang Press Conference for the launching of their fundraising event which will be held at the Equatorial Hotel on the 10th. next month. I will be one of the artists among eight others participating in the evnt by donating half of the cost of our works if purchased to the Home. I did the same last year and donated about RM700 to the cause. This year I will try to make it to the function as one of my favorite TV Characters will be performing at the event. Mr. Gurmit Singh aka Mr. Phua Chu Kang the comedian from Singapore will be on stage.
All in all not too bad for the guy who is penniless and wondering if he will make it through the next month. Breaking fast at a five star hotel with my buddies while enjoying my work and making new friends, donating my works left and right to charities like I am a Dato' and getting my share of doing good while at it. There is nothing like turning a depressing state of mind into a positive mental health than the act of giving no matter how small and insignificant the gift may be. In the past few weeks I have given away quite a number of my sketches to appreciative friends here and I find it very rewarding inside if not financiallywhile being among the guests at the Equatorial Hotel.
The Hotel itself for being quite up there in age compared to others on the Island, is a very well designed and laidout facility. Sitting on top of the small Bukit Gambir Hill it holds quite a panoramic view of the Penang Bridge and Pulau Jerejak side of the coastal Penang Island. The staff are mostly very cordial and friendly and the food is scrumptuous with a vast selection of dishes from A-Z in the Malaysian traditional menu. They could work on the light drinks though maybe upgrade abit with the latest in juices like the Rossele and the Marquisas juices instead of just plain old syrup drink! But hey beggars cant be choosers now can we? After all afive star buffet is a 5 star buffet!!

No comments: