Thursday, March 09, 2006

Yes, The show will go on...

On checking the balance in my bank account I discovered that I had some three hundred odd Malaysian Ringgit extra, someone had debited into my account about 100US Dollars I have yet to know who or where the money came from. Could be my son in the US or one of my friends in Japan, however whoever it was I am thankful as it lifted a great worry off my mind. I decided to check out how much it would cost me to frame four of my watercolor paintings this evening and discovered that it would cost about two hundred and sixty Ringgit in all and so I will go ahead and start gettinbg as many of my works framed as I can. I was told I needed at least about thirty pieces in all for a complete show at the Gallery. So far I have about twenty small pieces of mixed mediums framed and will need to start looking into the framing of my large canvasses measuring six feet by five feet a few of them and this will be costly.
Th frame shop I visited this evening is located at the end of Sungai Pinang Road no too far from where I live and the owner is kind of laid back guy about my age and is barely surviving at his business. I hope that we can work together in getting my works framed professionally, I hope to ba able to develop a relationship with the guy as he seemed like an artist himself and could use a little encouragement. I used to have a very close friend who was a frame maker when I was living in San Francisco. He was Palestinian and is his own way an artist and a poet. His place was called Valencia Gallery which was located on Valencia Street, SF. This was whewre I used to hang out along with a few of the guys from the Middle East. Most San Francisco Artists would drop by to get their works framed there and I had a good exposure to their works and got to meet and talk to quite a few of them. Most were Avangarde, and some underground painters whose works were not meant for public eyes as much as for self satisfaction and self expression to be shared among the few who happened to stumble upon their existance or met with the artist's acceptance as one who deserves being entertained.
The Malay frame maker I just made an acquaintence with reminded me very much of my friend Hakim and the Valencia Gallery. These to me are individuals who are inherently special as they persue their work or hobby despite all odds and one seldom finds them wasting their time sitting around telling stories at coffeeshops. They have their own stories to tell and if one find the time and common ground to work from chances are one could learn a thing or two from these individuals as I found in my relationship with my Palestinian friend Hakim in San Francisco. This is the beauty of making connections through your works.

No comments: