Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Rokok Daun

On the second day of the Chinese New Year I spent the evening with Lee Khai and family chatting with his younger brother who came from KL. Among the things I shared with him was my idea for my ' Art Installation' project which uses the local from made from palm leave sticks called in Malay 'Penyapu Lidi'.
Everyone present liked the idea and offered their suggestion on how to go about getting it accomplished especially in not getting carried away but start with smaller pieces first. I am glad to have shared my plans with them as it gave some insights from the feedback i got.
I went to Balik Pulau to visit my two grand nieces Suhana's girls and spend the day with them soaking in the rice field and the surrounding hills of BalikPulau. Ishak whom i call Sahak is a very humble man and most obliging and respectful to me I am beginiing to look forward to spending the weekends with the family and came up with another project which will take place tight there. I will do a painting of the panoramic view from the house on three separate panels. It will be my connecting link with the kids watching me painting unfold and it will not be a total waste of time being there.
While at their house I was pleasantly surprised to discover that both husband and wife were busy making 'Rokok Daun' the local Malay cigarette made from the Nipah palm leaves. The leaves have to be prepared and dried for it to be used filled with local tobacco. The cigarette is becoming more and more popular these days among the Malays as the ordinary cigarettes are getting to be too expensive and unreliable in quality.


Yeah, I know smoking is bad for you butt... if smoke you must why not smoke original, it may smell a little stronger.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We Have Nipah palm leaves from indonesia. Our product is for sell. If you interest with this product.you can order with us.
Our product are:
1. Nipah leaves ( rokok daun nipah )
2. Nipah Stick ( sapu lidi )
For More information:
Whatshapp: +6282284518923