Sunday, October 01, 2017

My Days in Kuala Terengganu - Mr. Rafi aka Pok Piy


My friend and confidant  for the last fifteen years or so. A man who was born and raised in Penang and later worked as a seaman and moved to the east Cost state of Kuala terengganu where he married a local and settled down there.  For rafi being who he is is in being expressive and direct when he shares his mind, always curious and always mindful.

I have had many teachers and friends in my life, men who directed and guided me when i  miss the mark or took a wrong turn, Rafi is one of those, Having raised five of his own and two step daughters, Rafi is a juggler when it comes to family survival and well being.. In his simple ways he makes things happen that  met his responsibilities and as a father he is the epitome of what a challenge it can be.

A  Man turning to spituality as he age, Rafi, in his younger days has been a  'Runner" in the georgetown area of Penang  where he delivers ' Ganja' among other things to buyer and he was an  expert in Rooster fights and raised them as a hobby.. He raised birds and the last time i visited him he  landed himself in the hospital having been bitten by one of his pet monkies.

In the background is my twin brother's mansion by the sea, he was not home when we arrived, Rafi can carry out a converstion with just about anyone and on just about any subject and he is a good listener that can persuade others to talk, one of the reason i enjoy his company.. 

In my life i  have a few close friends who i confide in in with when i need to and sometimes this happens  without having to talk but simply being in their presence. These persons in my life are my 'reviewers', the mirror i use to reflect my py progress in life, and i theirs.

As we grow older our minds turn towards religion and spirituality, getting in touch with  what lies ahead after this all ends. I have not been very good at the routine daily prayers but when I am in their company, men like these moves me to do my duties towards God in the more obligatory ways like the rest of the Muslims; it is some how so simple yet so hard to genuinely carry out.  

Mohammad Rafi having a good rapport with one of my nephews who lives closeby in the same neighborhood. I hope thes two will works together  helping each other out in dealing with their day needs as fathers..As the economy of the country keeps sliding into the darin and the coming election looming up ahead, these men needs to get their heads if not their acts together to survive the next monsoon. 

No comments: