Wednesday, October 18, 2017

A Brief lesson upon getting out of bed.

You can lead the cmel to the water but you cannot make it drink, is an ols adage that is universal in application.  This evening I shared a little of what i try to do every morning before i get off bed which includes sitting meditation focussing on my breath and aligning my body letting go of all the aches and pains of having slept for a few hours. In sitting meditation or as the Japanese Zen school calls it Zazen, one focusses one's attention purely on breathing in and out and counting your breath initially till one is seasoned. This realignment and readjustment of the physical body is accomplished through breathing and being conscious of the flow of one's energy throughout the body. This will also automatically erect the spine which opens up one's chest and collapsing it giving the muscles and bones  gentle work out. All the trapped air and stretched and squeezed muscle the result of our sleeping postures to let go and relax. It also helps the mind to unwind from te night's dreams and at a latter stage even reflect upon and reconcile one's dreams so the mind is clear and ready to take on a new day. All these are achieved through one's breath. 
After half an hour of sitting I would start my stretching exercises, like from the sitting position I would lean over and stretch my lower back as far as it would allow often till my forehead touches the floor in front of me. The i would do the same over my right and left knees, stwist my spine in upright position left nand right and so on. Importantly all these movements are done through breathing in and out accordingly.The i would rise and sit on my toes causing them to stretch mthe soles of my feet  after a few minutes i would sit with my toes stretched out backwards flat or sitting what the japanese call Seza posture. I would lean on my back till my whole body it laying on my lower legs causing my knee muscles to stretch. All these postures are for the alignment of my lower back muscle primarily and it also helps to keep my spinal column flexible and lastly it also massages my stomach muscles and my innards. 
Then I stretch all the way on my tummy and after having adjusted all my muscles all along the spine up to my neck area I would push my self up int a 'cobra posture' if I am nit mistaken as it is known in hatha Yoga or Yoga of the physical form. the rest is followed by flexing my legs and so forth. This is followed by my rolling over on to my back and work on my legs especially the knees and pelvic ball joints. I leave this up to my imagination  as to what i can do while in this position. After having done this i would get out of bed and do my workout standing up in front of the mirror if there is one. I do my Tai Chi breathing techniques which includes deep breathing stretching movement, followed by Chi Gung body shake where the entire body shakes as though one is shaking off all the tightness of the whole form from head to toe and from finger tips to finger tips. This is followed by a slow and rhythmic Tai Chi and Pranayama mode of breathing bringing my body and mind into alignment thus ending my morning workout in  brief.
To wake up and start off the morning with well balanced and calm and clear mind helps to release stress and promote a feeling of well being. This is how one should try to make a habit of, it is the beginning state getting to know who you are at least your physical as well as your mental state. As my body is aging, getting to understand it better through these practices, is for me is good maintenance practice. For the Muslims who do the morning or Subh Prayer this practice will help to better prepare the body and mind in facing The Lord upon waking up, Insha'Allah.   









No comments: