Sunday, February 14, 2016

Just doing what i can.

I am still recovering from my retreat to the organic farm at SRI LOVELY in Kampung Lintang, aches all over and a headache after sleeping most of the day. I have not made any entry since i was there decided not to like taking a break from writing. Also not much toe share other than the day to day experience of working in the fields. Having been absent from the place many changes are taking place mostly for the better, still short handed as always but things are getting done. One of the things that i observed of the people living in the area is that life is hitting them hard financially espedially now that the price of rubber has fallen badly and the political situation in the country is not doing the country economically any better with prices being hiked and taxes being imposed, but, what else is new? not many likes to read anymore of such depressing subject, truth it may be.
My body and mind went through a rigorous exercise of who gives up first body or mind as I went about turning a run down cold, wet and depressing environment into a beautiful resort status facility. Cutting the grass and weeds, cleaning the pond and moving a good amount of earth from here to there and raking tons of leaves and burning them. my body cried out in pain and my mind kept telling me ho stupid I was to subject myself to such drudgery. I sweat three or four times  a day til my cloths began to have that urine smell. I sleep in a hut that was infested with ants and al kinds of flying bugs at night attracted by the light. I eat mostly a small packet of 'nasi lemak' or coconut rice with a little bit of hot spicy anchovy paste.At night usually it was Maggie Mee a dehydrated form of noodles that comes to life when soaked in hot water. 
For company I had my friend 'Apek' and his two sons one aged 21 and the other 14. The elder brother is deaf and mute while the 14 year old smokes and often does drugs sometimes in the father's presence. I tried to give my two cents worth on what is right and wrong but after a while gave up as a futile effort. To each his own sometimes it is best to just step back and become an observer allowing for is to be as it is. I am not any better with my two children afterall. They are wrapped up in their own life and world that the mess in their room speaks for them. If you say your environment reflects who you are or your state of mind it just flies over their head,like what is wrong with my room?
Two hours of driving has let me witness the difference the have and the have nots in how they live and what they worry about. I am sure both sides have their ups and down. Still to find no water when you come home from work to wash or do your laundry was hard for me to cope with even if it happened to a friend living in the rural part of the country. Life has been tough for these people but they have learned to cope the best they can and there is little i can do except let a helping hand through physically getting involved cleaning and clearing, moving and shaking what needs to be voluntarily. its my practice.

No comments: