Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Today I dedicate to the Three Wise Men in my life.

I learned of the departure of my Professor, mentor and Friend while i was a student at the University of Wisconsin in Green Bay from another two of my professors who were also as close to me as Mr. or as I used to call him Don, Prevetti. William Prevetti was my fine arts instructor, the first I had when i was accepted to do Fine Arts at the University of Wisconsin at Green Bay,(UWGB). The 'Don' was my 'God father' and I held him in high esteem throughout my college years. One of the most unforgettable moments I had with him was when we were both attending the opening of the University faculty Art Exhibit at UWGB where he stood up close to me and whispered, "Sam, none of these works can hold up a candle to what you are capable of."
Mr. Elmer Heavens was also a Professor at UWGB in the Humanities department where i took comparative religions with him. Elmer too took me under his wings like his god son always more concern about my well being than if i was doing my homework. I used to enjoy giving lectures in his class as religious studies was one of my interest and i did have much to share with considering my upbringing. Elmer was about Don Prevetti's age, around the sixties headed into the seventies.

When I received the news of the death of my close friend and Mentor I was living in the small town of Corte Madeira in the foothills of the Tamalpais mountains in Marin County California. While living there i often visited the Green Gulch Farm which was also the Green Dragon Zen Center. This was where i had later lived and did my Zen Practice for two years

The GG Farm was practically surrounded by tall Eucalyptus trees and on strong windy days one can hear loud popping sounds like gunshots from the bark of the eucalyptus snapping when trees were being twisted by the wind. GG Farm was located in a valley and it was once owned by an English man by the name of Mr. Wheelwright. who later when he was no longer  raising cattle donated the whole valley to the San Francisco Zen Community to be run as a Zen Buddhist Monastery.


I also received from another art professor who was my watercolor instructor by the name of Mr. Michael Kazzar who was also of the same age as Don Prevetti and Elmer Heavens. I had three great 'Otais' who shared their wisdom with me while I was in school and from them I learned more than just about Art but about being an Artist itself. As O look back at these individuals and the times and circumstances in my life back when I realize how fortunate i was to have touched so many lives as they had touched mine. Had i not made my decision to leave behind the comforts of my home in Malaysia I would have never tasted the life I had living abroad as i did.

No comments: