Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Few things we do on Hari Raya Aidil Fitri.

Visiting those who been laid to rest is the first thing we do after the 'Subuh Prayer' or the early morning prayer. This visit is to remind us of those who have left us and those whose lives had  been responsible for our being here in the first place. To me it is also a sobering reminder of the impermanence of life and that at time soon i would be joining them resting here six feet more or less on top of one of them as the space here is getting very tight. 

The cemetery is also a very sobering place to reflect upon how much or far or how near we have come to being prepared to face our Maker and for all the hoopla we have created while being alive it all seems not worth a dime if and when you look at the grave stones standing cold even when painted with bright colors.

This is where my grand parents were laid to rest many years ago and last to join them was my second eldest brother Yahaya or Jaya as he was known to us. My cousin sister is scattering flowers  over the graves of my uncle, the one who raised me as an adopted child and my eldest auntie better know as Mak Timah Bidan the most well known individual among most who needed the services of a midwife in the early forties, fifties sixties and seventies. She was my cousin's mother and my grandfather had adopted her as a child. 

That's me doing my thing while being watched by my cousin brother Ahmad Kalam who had been my spiritual guide and companion throughout this fasting month.

On this particular day many of the citiy's poor and destitute sat along the path throughout the grave yard waiting for alms from the visitors.

Ahmad Kalam saying a prayer over the grave of his father in law, my uncle and husband to the midwife. He was laid to rest at a different location nearer to his house which is next to the cemetery.

My cousin sister Azizah Merikan pointing at this or that making her comments over this or that as she always does. This is one of the oldest Muslim burial ground in Penang and definitely the most colorful. Insha' Allah if and when I die I hope that i can find a place here among my ancestors even if the place is overly crowded, at least i will never feel lonely.

No comments: