Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Two days with my twin brother and his wife.

The tail of the monsoon season and the temperature is abnormally cooler at 17 degrees celcius and the wind is relatively less forceful . Sitting on the beach by my twin brother's house in Ru Rengeh, Kuala Terenggnau. No chance of taking a dip in the ocean this year as much as i miss it.

I was invited to sleep over which according to my sisters later is a historical event as is well known my twin and I rarely if ever see eye to eye. He is the 'successful one while I am the one who wasted his life chasing after the moon. But it is written as they say in the 'Loh Mahfuz' the book of life that we are born alongside each other but grew up farther than distance alone. I am happy to be the beggar and he the man of wealth.


We weave the woof and waffs of our lives each with his own style and design, but our ultimate goal is the same whatever it is that we endeavor it is for the Lord's Grace and Acceptance. Whether it be a rug or a Songket of gold and silver thread,  what  we weave is is who we are.
The 'Kain Songket' is perhaps the Queen of Malay traditional Handicraft. When patience and creativity join forces a powerful focused energy is released in the form of an art at its original best.  My sister in law is one such an artist whose works are testimony to hard and industrious effort towards harnessing what is the creative original essemce of Songket weaving and design. She has been recognized as a National Laureate for Creativity in the Arts..      

In my life I have tried as much as possible to make it as interesting and exciting as possible, so i weave it like a piece of art adding and taking away colors and making it all fits together at the end of the day. The Loom is the world around me and the threads are interrelationship I have with others .The experiences i have met with and the wisdom I have received. Humility has its color and so does compassion and love and there are colors to express warmth and coolness of being, or the flare Passion and the subdued nature of Faith.
As a weaver, my sister in law is senstitve towards the choice of her colors and this is perhaps the essence of what makes a Songket piece stands out among all traditional weaving such as Kimono and Kashmerre.

I am a Dream Weaver and my dreams sometimes do turn to nightmares. When I weave my dreams it is to serve a my blueprint into what is to become of my life in other words I weave my future in my mind, I let it be and ferment it in my subconscious and later when it is ripe and ready it will manifest itself, how, when and why I can never know, as it happens when it is least expected.


Song ket weaving is an art par excellence as it involves a tedious process from the design to the execution. The finished  product is worn by Kings and Ministers.

From silk threads to a masterpiece of an artwork, my sister in law better known as Habibah Songket was awarded the National Laureate for her creations. Her works and crafts hangs or is worn by dignitaries and adorns the walls of the National Gallery, and many homes of  the rich and famous.

This is a priceless piece of her attempt at Songket Painting. 


No comments: