Thursday, November 28, 2013

The Journey Begins - Have Sony Will Travel

From my regular haunt, at the fringe of the Island overlooking Parts of Georgetown in the skyline I am saying farewell to this Island I was born and raised in, well at least for a while. In the not too distant future all these huts will be gone as 'development, investment and economic gains is creeping right up behind them.  
I am saying good bye to this place where the shores meets the sea and  the struggle to stay afloat is ever in the horizon as those who eke their living simply by going to sea and  barely making it as it is in this dog -eat dog of an existence.  
There is beauty in this struggle too as it is  seen in the very rustic and impermanent structures that line the shore in strong contrast to the cider block structures looms in the background ever threatening to over take the makeshift community. The high tides and low tides comes and goes despite whatever goes on in the lives of the people.  
If the plans for the shoreline is that of skyscrapers or expensive condominiums, then the future would look like another Hong Kong or Singapore and hopefully it would not marr the aesthetic natural beauty of the landscape with another sterile city -scape. I am saying adieu to this ever changing face of the Island which I had once grew up in.. When i ask myself what was  I retreating away from, this scene is one of the them. I wish no psrt in playing fiddle to the rich for whom the sea is being reclaimed to build high cost comfort homes at the expense of those living  hand to mouth. There is not muh that i can do about it it is progress, it is development it is what is to come.

No comments: