Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Devine revelations don't Come Easy.

"How to Hear the Voice of God" by Susan Shumsky, DD, was introduced to me by my good friend Hasnul J. Saidon, former Director of the Museum Tuanku Fauziah - USM. It is pretty much strictly for those who have the inclination towards getting to know the spirit within, or in lay man's term getting to know who you truly are. It is the PhD. level of spiritual practice for those who look at life like a schooling , an experiment or as for the likes of me, a 'practice'. After her years of devotion towards spiritual awakening Susan Shumsky has arrived at the level of a teacher who can help many to walk through the gates of consciousness from the physical level into the Devine Prescence, within each and every living soul. It is not an easy course for those whose very nature is against the the Ways of the Spirit, but for those who have been on the road seeking for  diligently and intelligently answers to the questions of the spirit, the book is like a gift package towards tying up loose ends.
If God would talk to me what would he have to say to me? A question every man women and child will ask at the very least once in a lifetime and what would i have to say in return. If i am a non believer in God or religion then i would first have to ask who is talking to me in my head or in my heart? I might end up in the mental home if i keep hearing voices and cannot ascertain its source while at the same time wondering who is listening. Some have one voice too many to entertain in their minds and soon they cannot even distinguish one from another, usual these are diagnosed as schizoids, harmless in itself but a stigma to society at large because it is always awkward to see someone arguing with himself out in the open. For those who spend a good amount of their time looking within through all forms of meditation exercises, affirmations and chantings and Zikrs, it is paramount that they seek spiritual guides who have been there and done that. I have met many in my time men and women lost in limbo through not being aware of their spiritual and mental awareness resulting from their practices. There is always the dark side to everything and this is more so when you seek to understand your ego and your spirit; which is which.
I am writing now in the effort to understand myself and these teachers in the forms of books and the Internet are means towards which the Universe  or God, for lack of better words is communicating to me. I came upon these books and writers, firstly because i sought them out with my intentions and they surface like answers, sometimes out of the blue, something i would stumble upon and just when i was running out of means to sustain my practice, or when i am beginning to drift into unconsciousness or worse ,despair. I have watched this phenomena happening to me throughout my years of practicing and like most people, I too can pick up a book and turn to any page randomly and find an answer to my questions in one form or another, or at least a small reminder to what I have already know but forgotten.
We are never free from influences and possessions by other entities seen or unseen and especially when in deep meditation whereby we have emptied our minds, the chances of an 'invasion' into our being by external forces or energies is more prevailing and this we have to understand fully; how to protect ourselves from being hijacked. Usually we do not even realize that we are being overtaken by an uninvited guest until to late when the guest wants to become more than a guest and kick out the host. This is being warned in all religious practices no matter what religion. In her book Susan Shumsky helps many by sharing her knowledge through having been a student of the ancient Hindu Yogic practices as in her case leading on to Ttranscendental Meditation and later meeting her Christian Spiritual Teacher who led her into the present course of her teachings. "How to Hear the Voice of God", God speaks to us but we cannot hear His words, he shows us signs but we are too blinded by our daily lives that we do not see then, we cannot hear God's messages simply because we live in a very noisy neighborhood and our minds are too cluttered to discern that which God's voice from that which is noise. And we most probably will deny it is God's voice talking to us simply because we are too scared to admit the truth to ourselves much less to others. I have on many occasion called it 'The small voice in my head" whenever i related my past experiences that has to do with how and why i did what i did or acted as i did. But i have paid very close attention to these small voices especially during my deepest meditative state of mind -Samadhi? I would arrive like in an empty space and there is no a thing left to do or say or feel anymore and the first thing that would come to my mind is, Allah-Hu Akhbar!, La illa Ha' Illalah! (I am being a Muslim), would find this utterance as the key towards facing what lies beyond this state of silence ib Being. In essence i take refuge in God for Love and for Protection.
Last night or very early this morning whichever the case may be i sat outside under the extended zinc roofing of the restaurant where i live and it rained by the buckets. The sound was so loud as rain water hammered the zinc roof i was deafen and in that deafening state i found complete peace free of any thoughts and despite the wind gusting and rattling all that can be rattled I felt no fear or discomfort, I felt the presence of Being, I felt at Peace.
The words of my teacher came to my mind, "Walking itself is a miracle", the Rev. Thich Nath Hahn used to tall us, sitting there listening to the rain and feeling the wind gusting around me was a miracle as only God can make it happen and you have to be fully conscious at the moment to realize the fact that God is talking to you. Had I, like the rest of them seeking the comfort of the blankets slept through the rain, (as it is nice), i would not have felt the Presence of God. What good it did for me? It helped to cease all thoughts and I was free to Be.( My mind was running full time with all kinds of negative, defeating and worthless thoughts prior to this event until I said at one time, go ahead think all you want mind, I don't mind anymore.)

No comments: