Friday, July 05, 2013

Catch Your breath, Bahari! You forgot it's Friday!


I will never know what will be the next event in my life until I sit and catch my breath. The next event happens as soon the mind subsides from its constant hankering, moaning and groaning, its incessant crave for guilt trips and foreboding feelings of loss and concerns.I had to sit in front of the main building of the museum to catch my breath and remind myself of where I am at at the moment. Practice as hard as i want to, mind still dominates the moment with episode after episode of events that had occurred a few moment ago and those that took place years ago, and those that will need to happen in the near future. I am participating at the Armenian Street Art Event in conjunction with the Penang Festival of Arts and Culture organized by my friend Joe Sidek as the director. Joe of the Little Penang Street Market a multi- talented personality making things happen for Georgetown, Penang.
I have joined this event last year and had a good time and this year i hope to be able to do more, it is a good environment to share my works; my contribution towards Joe's efforts for this Island of ours. The synergistic, collective energy of many artists and art lovers are involved in this yearly event and it is a good portal for transformation of the society as a whole
I have been ambivalent about participating in the beginning and still have some reserve, but i realize it is only my ego looking at life from a warped angle of a dual thinking mind which always ask for more like what is in it for me. Yes i admit time and again I that i have yet to be able to become self-less and my thinking mind is a slippery as the eel that i once painted in Japan for USD1000. The painting was 1 foot by 3 feet in size and was done with Japanese black on Washi paepr or hand made paper, mounted of three separate panels. I did it id less than two seconds  like drawing a straight line across all three panels. Then I dabbed an eye and flimsy fins by the head.
I took the finished work to my friend Reichiro San the Haiku Master and laundry man and had him wrote in Japanese characters,
"This eel when it came from and where forth it goes, who knows."
After the writing done I took the three panes to The Miyagee Museum of Arts and nailed them together with four pieces of  pine wood i found in the garbage bin. I displayed the piece later that evening at the Gobangai, Downton Sendai Art Gallery (Located right in front of the Sendai Shinkansen Station) This was my second solo exhibition at this gallery and the first show was a two man show alongside my friend from Argentina. Mr. Pimentta. The paintings were curated and appraised by a fellow Japanese Artist who came from Nagano Prefecture and he said that the piece done of the eel is worth 1000USD and I just told myself, "Whatever!".
It was the first piece sold when the show opened. A Japanese lady who happened to be a writer was challenged into buying it by my friend the Artist from Nagano and they never met before. I kept watching them conversing for a long time discussing the painting.Llater the lady came and handed me the cash right there and then.
Yes, the eel , where it come from and where forth it goes, who knows, this is my mind, slip sliding from one thought, one episode one event to another... I need to stop and catch my breath or i will be sucked into this thought overdrive time and again. Take a deep breath through your nose, hold for a second and let it out through you mouth, squeeze it out all the way and then let the breath take itself in through the nose, keep repeating this till your mind settles down. Simple enough, but do I do it? Well relatively more often than most as it has become my practice to be aware to do this or drift along into the busy highways or stuck in the traffic.
I am sorry Lord for missing this Friday's prayer at the mosque, I most probably missed the best of Khutbah that the Imam of the day had to offer. My bad! But I am with You in my consciousness even if it comes as a guilt trip, I am sorry, Astarghfirullah Al Gafur -ur- Rohim.

No comments: