Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Artis Favorites Exhibition.- A tribute to the late Encik Fadzil


A gentleman Artist
Dropped by the Penang State Art Gallery on Mc.Calister Road and and spent two hours all alone viewing the newly mounted exhibition Artist Favorites 2? what ever! Saw some very high quality works and felt very moved by this fact. Kudos!! Penang Aritsts! I am proud to have one my works in there alongside yours. Well done hanging the works! It was strange how much different it seems when I viewed the works without my dark glasses on than when I was not. With the glasses I See the three dimensionality of the works that the artist most probably saw too in his final touches of his works. Without the glasses I see paint on canvas and my mind start critiquing, judging them, analyzing them, the works in their quality of execution, techniques styles, how far or how near they have achieved the best of their talents.
My dark glasses were specially made for me by son in Dubai and one of the things he told the guys at the counter , My dad is an artist and he needs good eye sights.It is also good for driving at night where the glare of the on coming traffic can be overwhelming, these glasses filter all the excess glare and dim the city lights, is becomes almost subdued silence that the mind see. I drove all the way to the east coast at night from Penang to Kuala terengganu across the Bintang Ranges and the Titiwangsa alone in the dark , me and my Kancil, thanks to the glasses for idiots who does not know common courtesy in lowering their highlights for on coming traffic; the glasses took most of the glare and a good visibility still maintained than otherwise.



Back to the show, my piece entitled "The Nipple" , (nebula in the subconscious mind)or something like that is also there and I am proud of seeing my work included among the contemporary artists of Penang.There is no doubt many great works more so the I have seen before in any previous shows; I was humbled. I felt the collective strength of the creative minds living in and around the Penang Island; it is awakening. "the Nipple" my piece was done with acrylic and oil on plywood and it was first started during the MCAT exhibition at the same location of this Museum two years ago? Now it hangs 'finished' although not properly framed as it should have been as promised... and this was why I was there at the museum in the first place, I was there to ask about the status towards getting paid for my painting that the museum had agreed to buy. I was going to find out what was the long delay other than committee meetings and signing of cheques. That was why I drove to the Museum that fateful morning but Allah had better plans, instead of knowing where the status is at He wanted me to really take a closer look at works of Art and feel the creative energy that it takes to manifest each and every piece of work.
I was very much impressed needles to say of the works produced for the "Artist Favourites" exhibition at the Penang State Art Gallery on Mc.Calister Road. I would encourage all teachers of institutions to visit the show when it is in progress, it is worth the time and cost. It should be made mandatory for colleges and Institutions of Higher learning's to encourage their students if not insist that they visit the show. This show represents Penang Fine Arts at its best across the board. A conglomerate of ethnic, cultural and religious representation of art works revealing in many cases their maturity in creativity, in the handling of materials and the spiritual touch of hidden messages to heal the mind.(viewers).
I did not learn more than I already know about getting paid for my art work bought by the Gallery as almost all the staff has gone to Sarawak for the "Museum Day" event. As I could not meet with the actual person I let my feelings go on to the staff that was there which was not fair by a long shot but i apologized and they understood and (I hope they do!) and tell their bosses! I did felt a whole lot better though after letting off my tirade about integrity and office efficiency , yad...aydda! I felt lighter and drove to the MGTF with a better feeling and so I write this blog.
Yes i wish I had my camera with me it would have creamed the cake and I could share some pics here instead but hey! Shit Happens!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shoppers can find out information without purchasing to speak a good foreign
language.

Feel free to surf to my homepage ... detektywi warszawa