Monday, September 24, 2012

A Man who Justifies does not Convince

My justification of why I write this blog will never convince me or any others the fact it is a waste of time and energy; not to mention the psychological input that is in the nature of my Blog. My last entry was  scrambled and cannot be read as it involved, maybe a U.S.government document that I had downloaded to go with it. No harm done, but my intentions were not to add fuel to fire but to share my two cents worth on a subject that has been a part of my psyche; I love my Malaysia and I love the U.S.
IN my 21 years of living in the U.S. I have met the best of man and the worse same as I have done so here in Malaysia, but none can I say is any reflection of the society as a whole. It is when you have not really and truly felt the pulse of a nation that you create your own perceptions of what that nation is and how you should face it in times of confrontation. The former President J.F. Kennedy did a program that worn the hearts of many nations all over the world, including this country and myself personally. In my secondary education while living in Terengganu on the East Coast of the Peninsular Malaysia, I was fortunate to have had several great teachers who hailed from Iowa, Colorado and Michigan States; they were Peace Corps Volunteers.I am sure most of us who had the opportunity to be taught by these teachers in those days would have to admit that they added spice to schooling. Those teachers who came over too cannot deny having had the best experiences living among the locals for a year or two of their lives; we tend to forget these positive achievements we shared and sadly enough dwell on the negative much more so to accuse and to judge.
The fact that the other guy could think better than we do is unacceptable especially if he is not one of us by race or culture; we have the incessant need to compete, to be the best; el Numero Uno.This obssessive nature has led us into becoming possessive, never enough, dominating and exploiting every means and actions to be the Number One.
When The Old Boy, 'Lao Tzu said that a man who can stop thinking for three minutes can rule the world; he meant that, that is how long our lives are worth in this realm.(My take).
Yet we cling to this life with all our hearts and mind, clinging to it possessing it and being possessed by it, so much so we are willing to gladly 'win the world and loose my soul'.  At what cost? Why can't we stop and take a deep breath and feel how fragile we are; "shortness of breath cause you to death" Pink Floyd.
As the Muslims pray five time a day, they have an automatic built in system to make sure that remember to stop and take a breath...time out! I am with my Lord...five times a day.or as the Buddhist would look at it I am Bodhicitta; I am consciousness Itself; I am Compassion; I am the all Forgiving...Bodhi Svaha!
There is more power in giving than in receiving I think the Prophet of Allah(Blessed) might have said this, I read somewhere, the hand giving is always above that of the receiver. In Buddhism the Buddha taught of receiving alms from the Sangha, the society the World so that we are always reminded that we are servants in this world and interdependent in our needs, to live. What is stopping us from opening our hearts and allowing for this teachings to manifest themselves in our daily thinking, our daily actions; as we communicate with our fellow man.
It is not my intention to compare Islam to Buddhism in a competitive manner but to build similarities  in concept as one takes a look from a different perspective; from a neutral angle. I grew up within both religions and have made my life's passion to understand of these two religions of my ancestors. I consider myself a richer person by virtue of the fact that i was born and raised as I was given the circumstances; a Buddhist and a Muslim both at the same time. I was forced to deal with the issues of faith and belief at a very early age and it hit home when I was in standard two and someone called me a Khafir at school. The shame and the pain sank in deep and till this day I made it my passion to find the truth, for lack of better words, to why was I born in the first place...who am I?
                  .

1 comment:

HighspeedZombie said...

Dad, what you write is not going to waste, I'm carefully reading it and am always happy when I see that you wrote something new, even though I do not agree on everything you write down here..it gives me a lot as it's a great way to learn things about how you see the world..maybe be even a better than being raised by you..never stop it, at least it's gonna be part of your legacy..and I'll try to make use of it!