Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Alpha Utara - Solo Exhibition.-Why? What for?

You can never know who would turn up for your shows and what to expect every time someone ask a question of your work, so it is best to be prepared with a short story so that you can entertain your guests whoever they turn out to be. 
Most guests trun up because they have heard of you or follow your  progress as an artist one among the few that they have chosen to patronize, like the gentleman in the green flowered shirt who has bought a few of my works since we met  one or two shows ago. The gentleman on the right is a reporter from NSTP I think and I have seen him quite frequently at most art openings in Georgetown. Kudos to these people who gives their time and attention to what is going on in the art scene in Penang.
I never get tired of explaining my works, my life my story to my guests as i feel they very much deserve my time and especially those who really have genuine interest in what I do and who I am. I strongly believe a genuine artist is one who trully shares himself as he shares his works with his audience, it is a performance. 
When you hang your works up to be seen by the general public you do it with the best  of intentions in sharing with them your capabilities and your God given talents and if one or two decided your works are good enough to be bought then it is an added bonus, if you do not sell a single piece of work, well feel a little disappointed or depress, you have earned it too, but move on as the ..show must go on....

Your show is not only about you, it is also about all those who often meet among themselves at such an ocassion to talk, shoot the breeze and catch up with what is what with the art scene, the Opera, the flea market and who knows what else.
Then there those who are your die hard supporters and helpers. They make the show what it is and the show is for them as they need it more than you or your well learned guests, they are the young looking for role models.
It is said that Happiness is in doing what you love and doing it with those that you love most. Seated are my sister, closest to me, my cousin sister next to her and my niece, right hand most. These are the ones who often wonders what in heaven's name do I do for a living or how do i justify myself to being an artist. For my sister  and niece this is the first time they have been to my Show.

No comments: