Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Alphe Utara Gallery Solo Exhibition.

My solo exhibition at the Alpha Utara Gallery on China Street in downtown Little India area looks like it is set to go. One or two minor glitches in the form of the man who is suppose to officiate the opening will not be present on account of being not well. What I had in mind for the show is also is not being fully carried out as the  gallery owner had his own perception of how the show would be. The show will concentrate solely on my mono prints which according to Mr. Sui Hoe, the gallery owner are my more powerful or expressive works.
It is never an easy task to figure out what the general audiences' taste is when it comes to artworks. Just when you thought that so called abstract art sells and start to produce your version of it you are wrong.
I have always been reluctant to hold exhibitions of my works in the past as i found it demeaning to my effort and original intention. What is creativity to me is not exactly what it is to the general public at least I have been finding it out more and more as i get older. Most of my fellow artist here at least are geared towards making a lucrative income over what they create and I envy them for their success. I cant seem to get my act together when it comes to making a living out of my works. I always find myself falling short of my mark for a complete success at least in the monetary sense. I am a very poor salesman when it comes to selling my works and I'd rather give them away as gifts than have to haggle with a buyer.
Most of my friends in the art circle frown upon my aptitude in this matter but i feel somewhat torn between my feelings and the reality of my needs. It is altruistic to create works simply to share with sentient beings or to use them as a tool for sharing the Dharma but the reality is I need to live too at least pay my dues where and when needed. Not having an income despite my hours of spending time over my artworks has been a source of embarrassment and sometimes it is dehumanizing when I have to borrow just to see mt through the day. I do not deserve this i keep telling myself but a part of me keeps telling me otherwise and rightfully so. I am not greedy enough or not hungry enough that I take it easy when it comes to profiting from my own creations.I hope this will change and my financial luck will to even if it is too late in time given my age.
However I am indeed please to be able to yet have another show and there is one person to be thankful for in this and that is my brother Lee Khai who practically sponsored this whole event. I owe this man more than I should but it is as it is, this is my lesson in humility; to be indebted to someone out of sheer trust and compassion.

No comments: