Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Krishnamurti on Meditation re-visited



Jedu krishnamurti talked a great deal about what is not meditation or what is meditation as it should be praticed and over the years eversince I came into contact with his teachings on this subject I have been intrigued by his thoughts. His perceptions are far out there beyond the understanding of most common man or a non practitioner, but for me and most probably for those who have been doing some form of meditation in their lives, Krishnamurti's obeservations on the subject warrants serious reflections.

I consider the essence of my meditation practice to be that of Zen Buddhism in style and technique and i have been doing this going on more than thiry years if I were to include that of my years of yoga style of meditation techniques during my initial years and as taught to me by my father. However I am not a devotee, I do not subscribe wholeheartedly like a Sadhu in th Himalayan cave or a Monk in the Monastry, I meditate mostly on my bed. I sit just before i sleep and I sit just when i wake up, and i do sit whenver time and place allows me to do so like when i have to wit at the Mall while my wife, daughter or whoever is shopping, I sit while waiting for my turn at the bank or the clinic...but i seriously sit when I sit...when asked i use 'taking a nap', as an excuse.



"Meditation has no beginning and no end; in it there's no
achievement and no failure, no gathering and no renunciation; it is
a movement without finality and so beyond and above time and
space. The experiencing of it is the denying of it, for the
experiencer is bound to time and space, memory and recognition."



J.K
"The foundation for true meditation is that passive awareness which
is the total freedom from authority and ambition, envy and fear.
Meditation has no meaning, no significance whatsoever without
this freedom, without self-knowing; as long as there's choice
there's no self-knowing. Choice implies conflict which prevents the
understanding of what is. Wandering off into some fancy, into
some romantic beliefs, is not meditation; the brain must strip itself
of every myth, illusion and security and face the reality of their
falseness."

This like experiencing death itself if one were to look into it deeply a state whereby everything that one is comfortable with or that one is attached to or thought to be true is let go. 'Bare Attention' with no sense of being or non being, a state of utter liberation, free from any thougts or conciousness, just emptiness or void. The avergae human mind is incapable of experiencing this level of 'conciousness' or unconcious-ness without dropping off into sleep. However the idea or concept of what Krishnamurti has expounded here is as close as it can get to what is 'Right meditaiton.' One of the books written by 'OSHO' aka Rajneesh is called 'Meditation is a subtle death.'



" There's no distraction, everything is in the movement of
meditation. The flower is the form, the scent, the colour and the
beauty that is the whole of it. Tear it to pieces actually or verbally,
then there is no flower, only a remem- brance of what was, which
is never the flower. Meditation is the whole flower in its beauty,
withering and living."

J.K.

"Our goal is to go from bright to brighter to brightest, from high to higher to highest. And even in the highest, there is no end to our progress, for God Himself is inside each of us and God at every moment is transcending His own Reality."

Sri Chinmoy







No comments: