Tuesday, August 02, 2011

The Fasting Month Begins...

My frst day of the fasting month this year was spent at Balik Pulau at the home of my friend Izuan who is a staff member of MGTF. I have been living here for the last two weeks keeping Najjar Musawwir, the African American Professor from Illinois company while also taking care of his needs like driving him back and forth from the Uiversity. Our first "Saur' was at four thirty in the morning having Kassim Mustaffa nasi kandar in Balik Pulau. Later in the afternoon we visited Mr. Khor at his gallery in Pulau Betong, a shop house turned






nto gallery. Mr. Khor took us to visit a few farms belonging to his freinds around Balik Pulau.
It was an exciting day for Najjar as he got to meet yet another artist and see places and things that he would otherwise would not have seen or expereinced. I was feeling very tired from all the travelling in the last few weeks and the start of the fasting month just added to this slowdown. My daughter decideds to return to Penang with a few of her friends and I could not send her the money for her bus ticket! Yipee Ka.A@!! Shame on me! My bad!
My impromptu solo exhibition is going on at the MGTF Gallery alongside Najjar's. it is not a bad show if I may add but being totally broke still is a sin, It is not that I need anything for myself but wheh it comes to my daughter's need it tears me up inside and it is depressing even if I have accomplished much in the last few weeks through being able to travel and meet some great artists and friends. On looking back, the fasting month had never been one for me to be up and cheerful about in the past, there is always the same old nagging pain about money.
Spiritually, with Najjar's presence it has been quite elevating as his spiriutal energy can be contagious in its genuineness and fervor. In our many conversations together touching on life and experiences I have come to realize that I am much more fortunate than most. I have my health intact throughout my life and the many opportuinites that life had afforded me through being in the places that others rarely venture and meeting people who in their own ways have achieved their dreams. I am fortunate to be a part of a community of artists whose aspiration and dedication towards the Arts is something that is still very much alive and still contributes toward the well being of this society. It has been my intention that i share the best as well as the best of my times when I decided to write this blog and thus I share with those who read my state of being in need as well as being needed. It is not with the intention of complaining or making excuses, nor is it to brag or to exegerate what is but to share that fact of lfe, that despite it all a man can still accomplish his or her desired dream with skillful means and patience and perserverence, with humility and humbleness and with the realization the Allah is Merciful and Compassionate...The Just.
SELAMAT BERPUASA TO ALL MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS.

2 comments:

Lavon said...

good morning peace & love to the you my friend. It is Lavon and I am writing to thank you for sharing your talents, perspective on creativity in Malaysia, very well written blog, and assisting Najjar in Malaysia.

Your work ethic speaks volumes. Your sphere of influence goes beyond borders. I want to show our gratitude for your hospitality. If there is any way I can assist you in your efforts please do not hesitate to contact me.

Lavon N. Pettis
creativeassol@gmail.com

Shamsul said...

Thank you Lavon,Najjar speaks highly of you and it is my pleasure to be of help to You and him. I am happy you enjoy my blog and hope that you will continue to share it with others.
Shamsul