Monday, July 11, 2011

Reproducing the Masters


'The Masters of Drawing", an art book I borrowed from Lee Khai contained works of the rennaisance masters and focussed on their drawings and sketches most of which were done as studies for larger pieces and final paintings.


Most of these works were done on parchment papers or hand made papers and the medium of rendering the drawings were pen and ink, charcoal and some in watercolors, a few were done with a more sophisticated combination of silver and graphite. the technique and style varies from one master to another.

I was mesmerized by Leonardo Da Vinci's portrait of himself at two in the morning while i was staring at it closely for the longest time. I could almost see the sweat forming on the skin of the work as the face came alive!
It is part of my ongoing study to draw from the masters it helps me to better myself wiht the various styles and techniques each artist employs and also it helps for me to recognise whose work it is after a while.

The words of my former mentor and friend the late Mr. William"Bill" Prevetti still ring in my ears today , he said, "Sam, an artist has to spend at least six hours a day drawing in order to become a master at it." After all these years of drawing I feel I am far from having grasped the essence of drawing.

A true artist for me is he who has mastered the technique of drawing especially the drawing of people not just portraits but people in general doing their everyday thing. In the East Katsushika Hokusai was one of those masters whose drawings was more appealing than his formal woodcuts.






































































No comments: